TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

01 TT Quattro 1.8T Downpipe Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 TT Quattro 1.8T Downpipe Advice Needed

Still running with the stock turbo on an '01 Quattro 1.8 (for now) and the flex joint on the OEM downpipe has severed completely from the flange.

After some creative welding, she is temporarily running, (just for warm-ups and around the block driving)... until I can get the part.

I need some feedback and this forum comes highly recommended.

I bought this car to tune it, and have been building a list of performance parts, my question is related to engine compatibility comparing the TT Quattro 1.8T with other VW 1.8T's.
(IE: A4 ) I assume that the Audi name lends to possible mark-ups in price, since I have found dozens of different downpipes online ranging in price from $100 - $1,200.

So my question is: If you were me, where would you get this downpipe (would prefer without CAT).

Reminder:
01' TT Quattro 1.8
Manual Transmission
Stock Turbo

The rest of the exhaust from the cat back to the tail is fine (though it's high on my list for upgrading now)
I only mention it because if this were you, you should know that you plan on upgrading the exhaust system within the next month so that might change your decision as to which downpipe you would buy.

Thanks in advance for reading my post and any direction you could point a new Audi owner.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/catego.../tt180qdp.html
Old 12-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I actually have this one on my short list. Can you think of any reason upping the diameter to 3" would eliminate preferred (favorites of other TT owners) downstream exhaust manifold performance parts or is upgrading to 3" actually the preferred way to go on these machines?
Old 12-18-2010, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i put the 42dd downpipe on our TT (225 chipped) and it felt like I added a second turbo! Was quite amazing what just replacing the dp did. Not the easiest install.. but can be done.

You MUST replace all your engine mounnts - engine, trans, and dogbone. or the engine will torque and the pipe will hit the body, then the driveshaft..over and over.. I went with the poly mounts. work great! Located the engine quite nicely.

Don't think about doing the job without doing the mounts.

Also, you will likely pull 02 sensor codes. Space the downstream sensors out of the stream and it will eliminate getting the codes.

Also replace the o2 sensors while you are there. There are cheaper alternatives that can be installed and work.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Good advice on the 42DD. Mine has been in for years

without incident. Good advice on the O2 sensors too...get them from Amazon nice and cheap. I just replaced mine today. Get an angle block for the post cat sensor to eliminate any CEL's. MCPi has a nice one..http://www.mcpii.com/engine.html.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yup. thats the spacer I got. Not cheap but looks pretty..and it works. got my 02 from amazon too. the part #s can be found on this forum in another post.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've been looking for the parts numbers on amazon and on the forum as you mentioned and I cannot find them. I would prefer buying anything I can for the car from amazon.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

bosch 16109 for pre and post cat. The rear one's wire will be a bit short, but if using the spacer mentione above, will fit perfectly

you have to search this forum for the part#. It is not in the book or cross ref.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Lexx
bosch 16109 for pre and post cat. The rear one's wire will be a bit short, but if using the spacer mentione above, will fit perfectly

you have to search this forum for the part#. It is not in the book or cross ref.
I bought the 16109 from a local auto parts store and plan to put it in after the exhaust upgrade but the 16109 is a 4 wire downstream sensor. The upstream sensor has a yellow wire (5th wire) that has something to do with the air pump... I'm sure I will find it but my question is as follows about the sensors.

If I eliminate the CAT (as I plan to) before upgrading the cat-back section for a wider diameter, won't the downstream sensor (after CAT) fire off codes with the CAT gone?

Also, is there any reason to upgrade the tail of the exhaust system (performance reason) to a dual exhaust system? Some of the aerodynamic body pieces I am looking to fit onto the car have the space for the dual exhaust tips.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh, I just realized that Black BeauTTy answered my first question lol, I hadn't even noticed that post.

I would be most appreciative for an answer to the second question however, of course. =)

Quick Reply: 01 TT Quattro 1.8T Downpipe Advice Needed