TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

2002 TT Bose Concert in SAFE mode

Old 11-03-2016, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 TT Bose Concert in SAFE mode

A couple of weeks ago the Bose radio in my TT went into SAFE mode (not for the first time). It had been so long since I'd had to reset it that I miss-remembered the code and entered the wrong code twice.

Since then I have been unable to even get the code entry prompt to come up again.

The owner's manual says that I just need to wait an hour and then follow the standard procedure again... but that hasn't worked.

I got desperate and tried disconnecting the battery... but to no avail. Nothing I've tried has gotten me to the code entry prompt again.

I've been pretty impressed with the German engineering of this car, but this problem is really frustrating me.

Anyone have any advice about getting past this problem?
Old 11-04-2016, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by tryppyr
A couple of weeks ago the Bose radio in my TT went into SAFE mode (not for the first time). It had been so long since I'd had to reset it that I miss-remembered the code and entered the wrong code twice.

Since then I have been unable to even get the code entry prompt to come up again.

The owner's manual says that I just need to wait an hour and then follow the standard procedure again... but that hasn't worked.

I got desperate and tried disconnecting the battery... but to no avail. Nothing I've tried has gotten me to the code entry prompt again.

I've been pretty impressed with the German engineering of this car, but this problem is really frustrating me.

Anyone have any advice about getting past this problem?
Take vehicle to dealer with valid title and pay them to reprogram it. In the odd event (you never know with pre-owned cars) it is traced as stolen, you'll need to buy a new one.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks. I'll admit I was hoping for a DIY solution, but taking it to the dealer was my go-to option.
Old 11-13-2016, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...20mode%20reset

Waks Wide Web

Last edited by mobsTTa; 11-13-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yesterday I found a web site that had SLIGHTLY more informative instructions about the protocol for resetting the radio after it went into the lock down mode. The augmented instructions made it crystal clear that to do the reset you have to leave the car and the radio turned on for a full hour (uninterrupted) before you could enter the code again. I previously thought the hour could be cumulative over multiple trips... not so. The augmented instructions stated clearly that if you turn off the car or if for any reason the radio screen goes dark you have to start the clock over again and go for a full hour before the attempt.

So this morning I added a lot of miles to my morning commute to get that one hour behind the wheel. And right at 1 hour and 1 minute later I made the attempt... and it worked. The radio makes noise again. FINALLY.