TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

02 1.8 TT Changed Spark Plugs, Now CEL

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 1.8 TT Changed Spark Plugs, Now CEL

Hey everyone,

im new to this forum and hope you all can help with some advice. I just bought an 02 1.8 Audi TT and the car was running great, smooth idle and no lights in whatsoever. I hooked it up to my scanner however and saw I was having cylinder 3 misfire and random misfire. It’s at 140k miles so I assumed spark plugs and swapped them out with Bausch spark plugs. When I removed the coil on cylinder 2 though, there was a little oil that had leaked down there from the seal around the oil cap being worn out and oil getting out. I cleaned up the oil as best as I could before I put in the new plug/coil. When I removed cylinder 3 coil there was a bit more oil, again I’m assuming is oil leaking from oil cap and cleaned it up before putting in the new plug. Everything was put back properly and sealed correctly from what I can tell. However when I started my car up and re-scanned it, Im not getting a code for cylinder 2 misfire, however no random misfire. I was thinking maybe I just needed to do a drive cycle after clearing the code so drove about 100 miles. Engine was running a lot smoother and did not feel the hesitation I was experiencing before so figured I solved the problem. I just started my car again though and now my check engine light is on and car is idling really rough/shaky to the point it’s causing my needle to shake on my rpms. Does anyone have any advice on where to go from here or what those things could be symptoms of? My plan noww is to test the coil packs, the test the fuel injectors. Please any help would be very appreciated with this! Thanks everyone!
Old 04-29-2019, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

You original problem was much more likely to be the coilpacks than the spark plugs and need to be replaced. Because of the heat here in Vegas, I can't get packs to last 2 plug changed so I replace them with the plugs
Old 09-07-2019, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have oil in the spark plug/coil pack area of the valve cover it is not from the oil cap. Your center valve cover gasket has failed and is leaking. This problem does not go away, it just gets worse. It looks like it is time for a valve cover service. I would do both valve cover gaskets and the half moon gasket under the cams while it is all apart.