TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

04 3.2 DSG Roadster Noises/Rattles ... Source?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 3.2 DSG Roadster Noises/Rattles ... Source?

I have 2 noises I can't figure out.

#1) Vibration/rattle noise comming from front. I can hear it when the car is in gear and I'm moving it very slowly - like pulling in or out of my garage. It doesnt happen when reving in neautral, and doesnt happen at higher revs/speeds. Sounds almost like a loose heat shield rattling around, but only happens as stated above.

#2) Metallic sound that comes from the rear of the car. I can hear it when excellerating from a stop or slow roll. It sounds like a metallic "clicking" sound.

Any ideas what these noises could be? I had it at the dealer twice, but they didnt solve them or explain whats causing them, I have an appointment to bring the car back this week. Its under CPA warranty.

Thanks for any help you can give!
Old 07-29-2007, 12:08 PM

Default Re: 04 3.2 DSG Roadster Noises/Rattles ... Source?

CPO warranty I mean
Old 07-29-2007, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Couple of ideas....>

If the front rattle is synchronized with your AC compressor coming on it is the serpentine belt tensioner, A bad one will rattle. This will happen at low RPM's and disappear with increased engine RPM's

In the rear, the Vacum operated exhaust flapper can sometimes rattle (sometimes loudly). Many guys block off the vacuum line leaving the valve open all the time and rattle free.. Search Exhaust flapper Mod for this one.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Couple of ideas....>

The front rattle happens regardless of the a/c being on or off, it doesnt look like the two are linked . . . it also dissepears when the car is placed in neutral . . .

I was thinking the exhaust flapper could be the metallic clicking problem ... ill look into that one
Old 07-29-2007, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The front...>

could still be the tensioner....It may be very weak and rattling just from the drag of the PS pump and alternator. Get up there and listen closely..The tensioner is just behind and below the Alternator pulley..
Old 07-29-2007, 12:28 PM

Default Re: The front...>

the only time I can get close to listen is when the car is stopped, and at that point the rattle is completely gone ... I just hear it in gear moving slowly
Old 07-29-2007, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have the same noise as you discribed...

that is coming from the front. It sounds like "knocking" and it's more like coming from the front and underneath the car. The noise also appears when you put it in D and gradually release the brake paddle and the car is about to move...??
Old 07-29-2007, 12:46 PM

Default Re: I have the same noise as you discribed...

mine appears when the car is moving slowly, sounds more like a loose heat shield vibrating than knocking ... I am starting to suspect something wrong inside the dsg gearbox, but Im not sure ...
Old 07-29-2007, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: #2

The wife's '04 has been in twice for a clunking noise at the rear when taking off. The dealer has re-seated and lubed(?) the suspension spring seats. Sounds fishy to me, but it works.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:45 PM

Default noises in mine that I sourced/fixed

1 - tick-tock sound in engine bay (thought it was in the cabin somewhere) - loose engine mount(s). Would hear this when accelerating/stopping. FIXED/REPLACED.

2 - loose rattle noises in cabin - driver's seat rail lock, privacy deck and the lock/latch for the hatch (teflon lubed).

3 - rattle noise from left rear quarter - brake dust shield (?) it's calmed down since I first noticed it. Fix on next tire rotation.

Quick Reply: 04 3.2 DSG Roadster Noises/Rattles ... Source?