TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

1st to 2nd shifting

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-1999, 03:26 PM
John

Default 1st to 2nd shifting

Anyone having problems / crunching noises shifting 1st to 2nd? Saw similar comments in Autoweek. I don't think it's me, but ... Help.
Old 12-20-1999, 04:11 PM
mne

Ummmm Brad... you wanna take this one? He left an email address... show him the stuff.
Old 12-20-1999, 05:33 PM
Brad Willis

Default Re: 1st to 2nd shifting

I'll make it short and sweet. There seems to be a problem with many of the FWD TTs. The problem is almost always exactly the same as what has happened to you. If you do nothing, it may go away, but will resurface it later. Take it into the shop asap. If they give you a hard time because they cannot recreate it, e-mail me. My personal opinion is that Audi put a Volkswagen (Beetle and Jetta) FWD transmission that should have never been in the Audi TT.
Old 12-21-1999, 06:13 AM
Wayne Bartlett

Default Body armour on,Check. OK Open mouth (Way too long)

I have had my 180FWD TT since June 6 and admittedly I only have 4000Miles on the clock but I haven't had a whisper of the gearbox problems that I have seen on this forum.

Now I have an opinion that is going to elicit shreiks of indignation but here goes:

I believe that some (not necessarily all) of the problems are caused by driving style and a lack of care by some drivers.

If you go back through the forum to the earliest days of TT Deliveries (April/May timeframe)despite the assurance of "appropriate break in periods" there seemed to be a lot of folks driving these cars very hard. Some of the early engine problems have never re materialized (hmmm!!!).

My view is that many folks bought the car and just wanted to take offf (Vrroooom), many drivers possibly didn't take the time to work out the feel of the car, the way the gears slide or otherwise into each other and other such nuances.

Now before I get flames claiming that I am arrogant (thinking my driving ability better than others or any such )let me say this. The TT was my first LHD car after a 12 month break from driving at all. My trepidation at driving on the wrong side of the road, changing gear with my right hand and worrying about "who does yield at the funny roadabouts with stops signs and giveway signs" all came together and forced me to ease my self into this little beasty (My TT).

Now having said that it could be that I was just lucky but I can't see it.

I've seen postings where people tally the number of problems with the TT but I'd like to see a tally of TT owners who actually read the forum even if they don't post. Let's put some math around these issues. I guess Brads car (God bless you Brad, you are a little terrier, hanging in there after all you've been through) aside there may have been 6-10 dodgy gearbox's but really how many car's are represented on this forum.
Old 12-21-1999, 06:38 AM
Brad Willis

Default Re: Body armour on,Check. OK Open mouth (Way too long)

I'm not using armor piercing ammo today, so you should be pretty safe. I respectfully disagree with your comments. There are too many examples of the identical 2nd gear grinding to be coincidence, and blaming the problem on the owners is ridiculous. I think that sometimes there can be a mentality which assumes that if a problem isn't happening to you, then it doesn't exist.

I have had several Audi employees tell me off the record that they believe that a problem exists with the TT's FWD transmission. I have been told this by more than one Audi mechanic. One recently told me that he thinks that my analysis is spot on.

As you know, the TT is built on a platform, using the same parts as other VW products. While 80% or so of the parts differ from those found on Jettas, Beetles and such, the other 20% are shared with those "lesser" models. All of this makes a hell of a lot of business sense, so long as the shared parts are up to the task. I think that the TT's FWD tranny should not have been put in our cars. It is my opinion that Audi made a mistake (yes, these things happen). It will be interesting to see if Audi modifies the FWD tranny either via public announcement or otherwise quietly.
Old 12-21-1999, 07:02 AM
Ves

Re: Body armour on,Check. OK Open mouth (Way too long)
Old 12-21-1999, 07:05 AM
Vesa J ( Finland)

I million of this transmission in use in Europe in 1.8T golfs/A3s. Very common.
Old 12-21-1999, 09:44 AM
Andy W

My 225Q does this when it's cold. I believe other 225 owners have experienced the same.
Old 12-22-1999, 08:22 PM
tthomas

Default Re: 1st to 2nd shifting

I've been lurking since i bought my 185fwd from the dealer after an acquaintance of mine had put 4000mi since May. he didn't mention any probs with tranny. my problem is intermittent grinding usually @ rpm >5k. naturally, svc mgr @ dealership couldn't repro grind and didn't even list it as a prob on my "soft copy" i talked to cust svc today to ensure the prob is documented. Would appreciate any suggestions