TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

2000 Audi tt 180 engine ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2000 Audi tt 180 engine ticking noise

Hey guys so I ran into a problem with my car last night. I was running it pretty hard and when I got home it started to make a ticking sound. This morning I was driving it and it got even worse. I can't hear it at idle or even revving it to 6k while parked (in the cab). It's only if I'm giving the engine an actual load like 4k+ in second, 3k+ in third etc. But it's not exactly rpm related because if I keep it at any rpm constantly and am not trying to accelerate the noise disappears. However the noise is very obvious with the hood open at idle. I've attached a video of this.

Some more info...
My low oil pressure light has been popping up. But the thing is it's only if the car is at idle rpm range. I read somewhere that this means I have a bad sensor because the oil pressure shouldn't display an error until you're over 1200 rpms. I've also replaced the oil pump within the past month in addition added a .50 trim turbo. It's in the process of a build and I'm doing connecting rods within the next few months before the fuel system upgrade. I don't want to wait that long to diagnose or fix this tick... Anyone have a clue what's going on here?
Old 12-22-2018, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Video Link

I couldn't get the video to upload so I used YouTube. https://youtu.be/-QoJFBqZzKo
Old 12-24-2018, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Spencer May
Hey guys so I ran into a problem with my car last night. I was running it pretty hard and when I got home it started to make a ticking sound. This morning I was driving it and it got even worse. I can't hear it at idle or even revving it to 6k while parked (in the cab). It's only if I'm giving the engine an actual load like 4k+ in second, 3k+ in third etc. But it's not exactly rpm related because if I keep it at any rpm constantly and am not trying to accelerate the noise disappears. However the noise is very obvious with the hood open at idle. I've attached a video of this.

Some more info...
My low oil pressure light has been popping up. But the thing is it's only if the car is at idle rpm range. I read somewhere that this means I have a bad sensor because the oil pressure shouldn't display an error until you're over 1200 rpms. I've also replaced the oil pump within the past month in addition added a .50 trim turbo. It's in the process of a build and I'm doing connecting rods within the next few months before the fuel system upgrade. I don't want to wait that long to diagnose or fix this tick... Anyone have a clue what's going on here?
You could have one connecting rod bolt snapped off and the slight play is causing the noise. Eventually the rod will snap and grenade the engine. I'd pull the oil pan and inspect immediately. A nice set of forged rods is cheaper than a block.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hey to anyone visiting, the ticking noise came from an exhaust leak at my wastegate. As for the oil light coming on, I fixed this by changing out my coolant temperature sensor. I guess if your car is warm and it thinks its cold, the oil pressure readings will be different from what the ECU expects. I ran into a multitude of issues with a bad coolant sensor. I made a post about where you can get these here:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-...nsors-3003578/