TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

2000 Audi TT Coupe Interior Lights Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Audi TT Coupe Interior Lights Electrical Problem

If someone could help me here I'd be forever grateful. I've looked everywhere on the internet and could not find a fix to my exact problem:

My Car: 2000 Audi TT Coupe 1.8 Quattro

I have 4 lights not working: the dome, glove box, and 2 on the trunk (the other 5: 2 map lights, 1 inside the trunk, and 2 behind the visors work).

I checked all fuses, and none are blown. I know at least some (visor and map lights for sure) work on the fuse that controls the windows and car alarm, but I'm not sure about the rest.

I checked the bulbs on the dome light and one of the trunk lights, they work fine. Furthermore, I checked with a voltmeter and found they're not getting any power (I assume the other two aren't as well). I would've thought the dome and map lights were connect on the same circuit, but I can figure out how to remove the that whole cluster on the ceiling to look inside (that'd be very helpful alone if someone could tell me how to do that).

Any ideas, what else I could check or is causing this? I'm at a loss here! Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

By the way, the all other electricals in the car work OK, including the sensors knowing when either door or the trunk is open.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

And here's a picture of the ceiling lights..
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the same problem, I found somewhere on here that the problem would be with the circuit board that is attached to the back side of the dome/ceiling light
Old 10-05-2009, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by kaiwooglin
I have the same problem, I found somewhere on here that the problem would be with the circuit board that is attached to the back side of the dome/ceiling light

I was able to fix mine this last weekend. I pulled the whole thing apart (including components off the PCB board) and although I didn't find a problem with shorts or contacts, after reassembling it it's now working! I did create a schematic for it, which you can use to find the problem. Note that the "J6,J5,J4" switches are not "0,-,|" like on the light, but contacts with a copper bar inside. So it should be:

J6 J5 J4
O X O (OFF, or "0")
O X X (Intermittent, or "-")
X O X (ON, or "|")
Note: X = closed, O = open

Also, the four input wires are (1) Negative Battery Side, (2) Negative Battery Side (switches on/off per timing circuit), (4) +12V, (5) +12V (switches on during LED illumination).

FYI, I made a mistake in my original post: only the dome light didn't work, all other bulbs did. Good luck.
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2011, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2001 Audi tt dome light not working

I have a 01 tt that has the same problem with the dome light. I have to wiggle the two dome light bulb connectors to get them to turn on. I can't get it to stay on because it always moves when somebody closes a door etc. My questions are how do I get the dome light assembly out? What does the unit behind the grey grill on then ceiling do? and would that being loose have anything to do with this problem? Thank you very much for the help.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 01 tt that has the same problem with the dome light. I have to wiggle the two dome light bulb connectors to get them to turn on. I can't get it to stay on because it always moves when somebody closes a door etc. My questions are how do I get the dome light assembly out? What does the unit behind the grey grill on the ceiling do? And would that being loose have anything to do with this problem? Thank you very much for the help.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

From the picture of the light you pull straight down on the middle silver part of the frame. You can see two metal pressure clips on either side holding it in. The contacts are pretty large, are you sure you're screwing the bulbs in correctly? On the back will be the circuit/PCB board as detailed in the schematic. It sounds like more of a bad contact, maybe check for corrosion and sand it if so. I'm not sure what you know about electric circuits so be careful, and I'd recommend removing the fuse it's on first so it's dead.. I blew mine a couple times doing live tests.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Same ploblem

Originally Posted by ztransform
I was able to fix mine this last weekend. I pulled the whole thing apart (including components off the PCB board) and although I didn't find a problem with shorts or contacts, after reassembling it it's now working! I did create a schematic for it, which you can use to find the problem. Note that the "J6,J5,J4" switches are not "0,-,|" like on the light, but contacts with a copper bar inside. So it should be:

J6 J5 J4
O X O (OFF, or "0")
X O X (ON, or "|")

Also, the four input wires are (1) Negative Battery Side, (2) Negative Battery Side (switches on/off per timing circuit), (4) +12V, (5) +12V (switches on during LED illumination).

FYI, I made a mistake in my original post: only the dome light didn't work, all other bulbs did. Good luck.

please how do you fixed i have the same problem
please help me
Old 07-29-2018, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Same problem

J6 J5 J4
O X O (OFF, or "0")
X O X (ON, or "|")

If someone could help me here I'd be forever grateful. I've looked everywhere on the internet and could not find a fix to my exact problem:

My Car: 2000 Audi TT Coupe 1.8 Quattro

I have 4 lights not working: the dome, glove box, and 2 on the trunk (the other 5: 2 map lights, 1 inside the trunk, and 2 behind the visors work).

I checked all fuses, and none are blown. I know at least some (visor and map lights for sure) work on the fuse that controls the windows and car alarm, but I'm not sure about the rest.

I checked the bulbs on the dome light and one of the trunk lights, they work fine. Furthermore, I checked with a voltmeter and found they're not getting any power (I assume the other two aren't as well). I would've thought the dome and map lights were connect on the same circuit, but I can figure out how to remove the that whole cluster on the ceiling to look inside (that'd be very helpful alone if someone could tell me how to do that).

Any ideas, what else I could check or is causing this? I'm at a loss here! Thanks in advance everyone.

same problem how do you fixed

Quick Reply: 2000 Audi TT Coupe Interior Lights Electrical Problem