TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

2000 Audi TT Unique Electronics issue and would love some help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Audi TT Unique Electronics issue and would love some help!

Recently I purchased a 2000 Audi TT 180hp Quattro, I've been fixing it up here and there and one of the issues I couldn't wrap my head around was the middle interior locking buttons not working and the dome lights not functioning. After researching some bit I figured it must be a bad central locking module but as I was doing some stuff today I found these things working! I figured out that these objects would only work with the passenger door open and would immediately stop once I shut it. I would appreciate any insight and help, I'm kind of lost in terms of reaching a solution especially since I haven't been able to find anything of use. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2018, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

It could be a bad door open switch in the latch assembly but the central locking modules DO fail in mysterious ways. Both of my cars have eccentricities when it comes to door locking and interior lights.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did you ever figure it out?
mine (new to me today) is doing the same things and the previous owner told me it started happening when he changed the battery a few weeks ago.. also the key FOBs stopped working same day.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having recently come into the Audi TT mk1 I wasn't surprised to find the mk1 has a can bus (central area network) but it is internal,
with the modules 'talking' to one another over the can bus line. Diagnostics can be accessed only through the Vagcom software.
Any disruption of power to the modules 'confuses' them and erratic stuff happens. Pulling fuses with the key on, battery disconnection, etc.

As I understand it, the modules go into a shutdown period when key is off, then 'go to sleep'. Then it's safe to remove power. 5 to 10 minutes
before removal of power should be sufficient (my '01 bmw 7 series requires 16 minutes...more stuff than the space shuttle).
Disconnect the battery negative, wait a few minutes and reconnect. You will need your radio code to unlock the 'safe' mode. Program your fobs
via the owner's manual procedure. Insert the key and turn to position 1 and make sure the immobilizer icon comes on then off, and start the car.
Now check all the other functions... windows, switches, interior lights, etc. If all is good turn off, exit and check your locking functions.

Sometimes these buggers just need a reboot. Not as simple as whacking a key on a pc, but more satisfying when it all whirrs like it's supposed to....
And by all means, if I am off base, I stand to be corrected and appreciate input. I've been wrong before, will be again.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by oldroller
Having recently come into the Audi TT mk1 I wasn't surprised to find the mk1 has a can bus (central area network) but it is internal,
with the modules 'talking' to one another over the can bus line. Diagnostics can be accessed only through the Vagcom software.
Any disruption of power to the modules 'confuses' them and erratic stuff happens. Pulling fuses with the key on, battery disconnection, etc.

As I understand it, the modules go into a shutdown period when key is off, then 'go to sleep'. Then it's safe to remove power. 5 to 10 minutes
before removal of power should be sufficient (my '01 bmw 7 series requires 16 minutes...more stuff than the space shuttle).
Disconnect the battery negative, wait a few minutes and reconnect. You will need your radio code to unlock the 'safe' mode. Program your fobs
via the owner's manual procedure. Insert the key and turn to position 1 and make sure the immobilizer icon comes on then off, and start the car.
Now check all the other functions... windows, switches, interior lights, etc. If all is good turn off, exit and check your locking functions.

Sometimes these buggers just need a reboot. Not as simple as whacking a key on a pc, but more satisfying when it all whirrs like it's supposed to....
And by all means, if I am off base, I stand to be corrected and appreciate input. I've been wrong before, will be again.
thanks.. I will disconnect tomorrow morning first thing.

the door locks function with the drivers door open but that's it..

do you know where to get the radio code?

and it's my understanding that re coding the FOBs needs special equipment for the 2000 year model TT.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait to perform a battery boot until you have your RADIO CODE... it will lock the radio into 'safe' mode. If you have the info
packet with the car it will likely be on the inside front page of the Audi Radio Guide pamphlet. If you don't have the paperwork
the best bet is to call Audi Customer assistance with your vin number and possibly the radio serial number (radio has to be removed to
access this number). There are online decoders but you will still need to pull the radio out to record the 'AUZxxxxxxxxx' number, and most
charge a fee. I tried a couple and the code was unretrievable. I eventually found the manuals for the car. And unlike some manufacturers Audi
radios 'safe' mode cannot be deactivated. Real PITA.

To synch your fobs press either the lock or unlock button one time while standing by the door, and within 60 seconds lock then unlock the door
with the key. Do both fobs if you have both.
If there are still issues with the convenience features then try the battery reboot. Make sure the key is away from the vehicle while rebooting.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by oldroller
Wait to perform a battery boot until you have your RADIO CODE... it will lock the radio into 'safe' mode. If you have the info
packet with the car it will likely be on the inside front page of the Audi Radio Guide pamphlet. If you don't have the paperwork
the best bet is to call Audi Customer assistance with your vin number and possibly the radio serial number (radio has to be removed to
access this number). There are online decoders but you will still need to pull the radio out to record the 'AUZxxxxxxxxx' number, and most
charge a fee. I tried a couple and the code was unretrievable. I eventually found the manuals for the car. And unlike some manufacturers Audi
radios 'safe' mode cannot be deactivated. Real PITA.

To synch your fobs press either the lock or unlock button one time while standing by the door, and within 60 seconds lock then unlock the door
with the key. Do both fobs if you have both.
If there are still issues with the convenience features then try the battery reboot. Make sure the key is away from the vehicle while rebooting.
thank you!
I will try this today with the FOBs and search for the radio code..