TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

2002 audi tt quattro not hitting full boost

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright I'll look into the boost gauge and as far as black smoke goes it wasn't doing that but I did notice alot of black build up on the exhaust tips that seemed more excessive then normal but that was before I had the new turbo installed and I will definitely let you know asap my friend and if it is in limp mode and there are no possible problems with the car then what do I need to do do I have to take it in? Also to keep in mind the smog pump wasn't working before the shop said it was coming apart but it still works so they squeezed it back together and it's been fine since but I still plan on changing it and also the car keeps telling me service every time I turn it on but obviously I do all my own service but could this cause the car to go into limp mode since it keeps telling me to take it to survive?
Old 10-17-2017, 07:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

well i really can't tell you if that would cause it or not but I would maybe check out about blocking off the sai and evap stuff to cancel it out
Old 10-17-2017, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Alright sounds good I will do this all this when I get home and let you guys know what happened and what I found if anything. Thanks alot you guys I'll get back to you guys real within a few hours.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by supergeorgy
I have done this exact same boost test but I also disconnected the pipe to the intake manifold at the bottom and tried sealing it as best as I could since people say not doing that will let pressure blow by the throttle bottle should I retest again without disconnecting the intake manifold?
Yes definitely. The hoses off the intake manifold are chronic failure points. It will bleed air through the throttle body and into the cylinders with open intake valves but no harm. Listen for the hiss of a torn or split hose. The fabric covered hose from the end of the intake manifold to the fuel pressure regulator and the combi valve fails frequently and will reduce boost. The rubber Y ( actually a U with a siamesed straight fitting) at the end of the intake manifold that feeds vacuum to the brake booster is a common failure point too. As is a rubber elbow under the intake on the pcv piping. It does not take a big leak to cause problems.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Alright so update on the boost problem there is for sure no boost leak anywhere but I did buy the boost gauge which btw thanks for telling me about getting it at harbor freight lol and I revved the car up and it wouldn't go past 5 psi which means it's in limp mode also the EVAP system has no pressure at all my dad was there with me when I was working on my car and while he was looking around he noticed the little tag on the EVAP pipe that says the system needs 1 psi and he checked it with a pressure gauge and it read 0 even with the car on and revving it he said there didn't seem to be anybuild up of pressure could the car be in limp mode due to this and if so what do I need to do to fix it?
Old 10-18-2017, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Alright so update on the boost problem there is for sure no boost leak anywhere but I did buy the boost gauge which btw thanks for telling me about getting it at harbor freight lol and I revved the car up and it wouldn't go past 5 psi which means it's in limp mode also the EVAP system has no pressure at all my dad was there with me when I was working on my car and while he was looking around he noticed the little tag on the EVAP pipe that says the system needs 1 psi and he checked it with a pressure gauge and it read 0 even with the car on and revving it he said there didn't seem to be anybuild up of pressure could the car be in limp mode due to this and if so what do I need to do to fix it?

SAI only functions for a minute or two to fire off the cat converters after a cold start. If pumping is inadequate it can yield a code but I have never seen it but a car in limp mode. Unfortunately it's just about impossible to diagnose without a VAG com scan.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Dang I see and where can I get a VAG com and are they expensive?
Old 10-18-2017, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Dang I see and where can I get a VAG com and are they expensive?
From Ross Tech. Mine is a Hex Can version. Can do unlimited # of vehicles. New units are limited to 3 or 10 VINs unless you buy the pro model for $$$$.
I would get the 10 VIN unit because as time goes by you'll use it but the 3 VIN unit WOULD work for your current needs. Remember that it requires a Windows laptop. Over the past 7 or 8 years mine has paid for itself over and over and over. On newer Audi's it is required to reset the maintenance interval requirement warning.

https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/
Old 10-19-2017, 09:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

WAIT before you go out of your way in trying to get it scanned, there is a VCDS alternative scanner, it's called the VAG401 by Xtool. I got it on Amazon for 50 bucks and it's the best investment i've gotten. It has almost all the regular VCDS capabilities plus a little, it has a few special features that can come in handy sometimes too. I would HIGHLY reccomend
Old 10-19-2017, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Christian Garofalo
WAIT before you go out of your way in trying to get it scanned, there is a VCDS alternative scanner, it's called the VAG401 by Xtool. I got it on Amazon for 50 bucks and it's the best investment i've gotten. It has almost all the regular VCDS capabilities plus a little, it has a few special features that can come in handy sometimes too. I would HIGHLY reccomend
i haven't bought the scan tool yet but I was looking into it but I have a question before I get the scan tool your recommending. The car just threw up an engine code about 2 days ago I went ahead and scanned it and it came back as secondary air injection incorrect flow which I was already aware of will this scan tool your suggestion be able to pick up codes that and obd2 scanner can't and if so why? Just curious as to why the current obd2 can't do this aha sorry if I don't know much about these things just trying to make sure I don't spend money that doesn't need to be spent which I'm sure i did by installing a new turbo aha

Quick Reply: 2002 audi tt quattro not hitting full boost