TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

2002 TT engine light after throttle body cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 TT engine light after throttle body cleaning

so my RMP was Idling rough, i read if you clean the throttle body, it will fix the issue, so i opened it up the throttle body and cleaned it, it was super dirty, now my idle is perfect, but now, my engine light comes on and my turbo is acting up, not kicking in etc.
anyone have a clue what this could be? my turbo seems to work fine as i hear the whistle when warming up car, anyone any clue?
thanks
Old 04-18-2013, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skyhighhobby
so my RMP was Idling rough, i read if you clean the throttle body, it will fix the issue, so i opened it up the throttle body and cleaned it, it was super dirty, now my idle is perfect, but now, my engine light comes on and my turbo is acting up, not kicking in etc.
anyone have a clue what this could be? my turbo seems to work fine as i hear the whistle when warming up car, anyone any clue?
thanks
Get the code read, otherwise it's a potentially expensive guess. Don't just throw parts at it.

You might need a VAG.com to do throttle body adaptation.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

thanks for the reply,
what is throttle body adaptation?
i will get a code read today and see what the issue is.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by skyhighhobby
thanks for the reply,
what is throttle body adaptation?
i will get a code read today and see what the issue is.
Sounds like a vacuum leak. You probably pulled a hose off when removing the air tube and didn't put it back on. A whistle always indicates a vacuum leak.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

whats the code say? might just reset it and see if it comes back on. maybe something was momentarily disturbed but fine now.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by imagexposed
Sounds like a vacuum leak. You probably pulled a hose off when removing the air tube and didn't put it back on. A whistle always indicates a vacuum leak.
I agree. I'm betting something got loose when you opened up the throttle body. There's a lot of random vacuum hoses on the left side of the engine bay there, near the vacuum reservoir.

Open up the hood in the driveway and let the car idle, and just look around there for any vacuum hoses that are loose/not hooked up/cracked/ect. Listen for the whistle and try to find it.

Throtle Body Adaptation is simply your throttle body reseting itself to stock position. It adjusts itself over time and whenever you clean it, it's a good idea to reset it. If your car is chipped from APR I know the chip comes with a built in throttle body reset that you can run from the cruise stalk. Otherwise you can only run it from a licensed vag.com or the stealership. BTW always run throttle body adapatation (reset) when the car is cold, never when it's warmed up.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

thanks for all the reply,
i did get a code few weeks ago but dont have it with me, the code read that its either the turbo or something with the throttle body,,the mechanic told me its most likely these throttle bodies are so sensitive, when i disconnected the power wire from the throttle body ( i think its the power cable ) it reset my throttle body so i need to get it collaborate, im pretty sure its not the turbo as it use to work fine before i cleaned the throttle body. He also said i should not have disconnected the cable from throttle body.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

update**

so i found a very nice individual that has a vag.com
but he needs to know what code i need to do or what process is used to reset the throttle body ( throttle body adapatation )
does anyone know? ive never used a vagcom so not sure what the process is, do i need to get the codes for my car for vag.com to work? doesnt vag.com spit out codes anyways?
thanks for all the help