TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

2005 TTR Electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 TTR Electrical issues

Hey guys. I just picked up a new (to me) 2005 TT Roadster, and there seems to be an electrical issue.

I have no front or rear parking (side) lights, no radio lights and I have no lights in my instrument cluster (except the needles). This is odd because my brake lights work (same bulbs as the side/parking lights)

I have searched and read through dozens of threads of people with similar (but not the same) issues, but I have not been able to resolve mine.

I have checked literally every fuse, I have replaced all 4 bulbs (front and back), I even replaced the headlight switch but I still cant figure out what is going on. Nothing has worked.

Any ideas/suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance!
Old 04-10-2019, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by minabeshara
Hey guys. I just picked up a new (to me) 2005 TT Roadster, and there seems to be an electrical issue.

I have no front or rear parking (side) lights, no radio lights and I have no lights in my instrument cluster (except the needles). This is odd because my brake lights work (same bulbs as the side/parking lights)

I have searched and read through dozens of threads of people with similar (but not the same) issues, but I have not been able to resolve mine.

I have checked literally every fuse, I have replaced all 4 bulbs (front and back), I even replaced the headlight switch but I still cant figure out what is going on. Nothing has worked.

Any ideas/suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance!
Using the vehicle's wiring diagram (purchase if you don't have) use standard automotive electrical system troubleshooting techniques to diagnose and repair the problem. You will likely need a good multimeter and some jumper wires with alligator clips on each end.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

An oddball idea here, but check the grounding points and a grounding strap if there is one. My Mk.4 Golf started having weird electrical problems, blew both headlight bulbs and just quirky electrical gremlins. Had me and my mechanic scratching our heads. My mechanic finally traced it to the grounding strap corroding from the inside out. Looked fine on the outside, but green w/ corrosion on the inside. Once that was replaced, car ran perfectly. Could be that one of the grounding points may not have a good contact. If you are going to check and clean them, use dielectric grease to seal the contact from air/moisture.