TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

99 180 Coupe needing some TLC. Help! Please.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 180 Coupe needing some TLC. Help! Please.....

Hi there people.

Newbie to the forum from all the way downunder(Australia).

Have a 99 180 Coupe that I recently ran off the road into a rather large, thick, spikey lantana bush. Woops! Lots of scratches on the car car and a cracked front bumper amongst other things.
Audi have had a look at it and want big $$$$ to get it back into shape.

Am thinking I would like to import some parts, clean it up, sell that puppy and upgrade to a quatro 225 Coupe or Roadster. Suggestions?

Anyway a list of parts/work I need are as follows...

1. Front bumper(preferably silver).... How interchangeable are these between models? Has anyone heard of plastic welders and if any merit to what they do? Does anyone have a second hand one they might be able to help me out with? please...

2. Electric mirror toggle switch... Snapped that clean off getting out of the car! (Part number? New/second hand relacement? Original or aftermarket?)

3. Center console lid tracks(just under the ashtray)....Snapped whilst opening.

4. Instrument cluster on its way out....Now know to top up fuel at a quarter of a tank(learnt the hard way...ptt ptt ptt!; engine temp contantly sitting just under red on the gauge although temp is normal.

5. A good buffer kit to get some pretty solid scratches out of basically every panel! OR would I be better off getting that profesionally done?

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

By the way have found a wealth of knowledge already on this forum. You guys are great and your work inspired me to become a Modder! Bring it!

Cheers

PS. The link below was my little baby before my shocking attempt at driving!<ul><li><a href="http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/audi/tt/sydney/detail.aspx?id=2083811&amp;pg=1&amp;pp=12&amp;d=0& amp;nv=1">http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/audi/tt/sydney/detail.aspx?id=2083811&amp;pg=1&amp;pp=12&amp;d=0& amp;nv=1</a</li></ul>
Old 10-21-2005, 05:05 AM
Rest In Peace

Default A few answers...>>>

1- Bumpers are VERY interchangable. You can even put a 3.2 bumper on the front. If you have a FMIC, you need to mod the 3.2 bumper a bit...but other than that...solid.

2- This is common. I do not have the part number, but it is available thru
www.worldimpex.com or www.autohausaz.com...both of these sites carry OEM parts at pretty good discounts. Just not sure what shipping will be to the land down under! ;-)

3- I would check ebay for that cover....

4- No way around clusters...needs to be coded at the dealership..unless you are REALLY brave and due it thru VAGCOM software. The only thing is, it is a one shot deal when sending the code to the cluster. If the dealer does it wrong the part is on them...IMO

5- www.griotsgarage.com has awesome buffing kits...3m's kit is also nice. Get a good Porter Cable buffer..it is worth the investment..IMO

Cheers Mate! ;-)
Old 10-21-2005, 05:12 AM

Default Instrument Cluster rebuild

Thanks for that. In regards to the cluster have you heard of the guys below(see link)....

Apparently they will rebuild the cluster for about $350 pounds. Not bad compared to Audi's quote of 3k AUD.

"If you have a FMIC". Pardon my ignorance but what is that?? <ul><li><a href="http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=audi_tt_dashboard_failing">ht tp://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=audi_tt_dashboard_failing</a</li></ul>
Old 10-21-2005, 05:17 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Never seen the rebuild option...>>>

Would be curious as to the "process" of a rebuild and if it offered to US cars....

FMIC is, Front Mounted Intercooler. Some have upgraded the OEM coolers to a single large cooler. This provides quicker recovery of power due to heat saturation on the OEM coolers, mostly...
Old 10-21-2005, 05:40 AM

Default Removing the front end

Found this link.

Good as gold! Will be attacking my first TT project tomorrow. Well at least shopping for some tools!

Is there any type/brand of jack you would recommend? I'm assuming i will need 2.

At first I was thinking I would pick up some car ramps but I guess they wont help too much once the wheels are off!!!!!!!<ul><li><a href="http://www.rpi.edu/~onksej/Audi%20Stuff/Audi%20TT%20Front%20Bumper%20Removal%20&amp;%20Hel la%20Horns.pdf">http://www.rpi.edu/~onksej/Audi%20Stuff/Audi%20TT%20Front%20Bumper%20Removal%20&amp;%20Hel la%20Horns.pdf</a</li></ul>
Old 10-21-2005, 07:28 AM
Rest In Peace

Default I would strongly suggest>>>

jack stands....not just a jack. You will be under the car at times, and jacks are not all reliable, regardless of brand.

Sears makes decent stuff for not a lot of money
Old 10-21-2005, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's a Mass address, in South Dartmouth

So it looks like a US possibility.