TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

ABT Springs + Bilstein Sports, right? Plus more questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABT Springs + Bilstein Sports, right? Plus more questions...

If I remember correctly, it's

Bilstein HDs + stock springs
Bilstein Sports + aftermarket springs

It looks like Bilstein Sports + the ABT springs may be the best way to go.

Anything else I'm forgetting? What will I need to do after this - just a four wheel alignment or do things get complex here?

I know shox.com for the shocks, but do they carry ABTs or should I call Stratmosphere for those?

Last, any hints on finding an installer? (I'm in the Boulder/Denver area.)

My dealer will do shocks for $180 each, which is just a <b>bit</b> pricy...
Old 09-17-2002, 05:28 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You can do either Bilstein. I've liked the Sports. $180 each

holy moley, Rocky. Think you can do better than that. Daryl at shox.com for the Bilsteins...ask for the TT Forum price. Pete/Bob at Strat for the Abts....I loooovvvveee this set up...
Old 09-17-2002, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks - trying to decide if shocks/springs would be enough or to get the Boxster...

I like the Boxster's top - I have the 225 Coupe now - but more than that I was just flat out impressed with the Boxster's handling; the 15-20 minutes after driving the Boxster was the first time I ever felt the TT's handling to be sluggish and non-reponsive with too much body roll.

Yeah, it's cheap to drop the $2K or so on the springs and shocks and find out for myself, but I'd rather not spend the $2K if what I'm after really can't be achived due to the laws of physics (Boxster is 500 lbs lighter, mid-engine placement, etc.)

That said, I <b>do</b> love my TT, but it would certainly be cool to own a P-car... :-)

Oh, and I did find a shop that would do the shocks, springs and four wheel alignment for a bit under $600 - much more reasonable...
Old 09-17-2002, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

That's is my set-up, and I like it - good move.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:06 AM

Default Anyone know the difference between ABT springs and Eibachs besides price?

Stratmosphere lists the ABT springs at $399. I'm wondering why people are paying over $100 more for the ABT springs.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Porsche??

VenTTed... I was looking in you Fotki album....Is that your 356?? That car is soooo beautiful!! I am planning to own one someday!!
Old 09-17-2002, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Lowering is different...

Denny had mentioned the ABTs lower the car a bit less than an inch where the Eibachs lower the car a bit more than an inch.

In the very little I've been able to study on the subject, it seems like the Quattro rear can only be lowered so much before things start getting funky, and I also think 1" is just about right before you start tearing all kinds of stuff off the bottom of the car on normal pothole and drainage channel-covered roads.

The roads here in Colorado suck, but I figure if Denny can drive the roads of the Northeast with a 1" drop, I shouldn't have any problems here...

Or.....you can just go with Bilstein PSS9's...
AudiWorld Super User

Default Naw, it's my mother in law's neighbors car...

He bought it at 16 years old. 16 years lateer it was done... it's in beautiful condition. Funny though, his next driver will be a TT - he loves our cars! :-)

BTW, driving that thing is "unique"... not a very 'refined' experience.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:18 AM

Default What do you mean "things start getting funky"...

I'm just curious because I know there are a lot of people with Quattro's that have the rear dropped more than an inch.

Quick Reply: ABT Springs + Bilstein Sports, right? Plus more questions...