TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Advice needed for TT repairs

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed for TT repairs

Hi! I am new to this website and in need of some advice for my Audi TT. It is a 2001 coupe and I have had it for a few years. I recently passed 60K and took it to the dealer for service. My old maintanence guy is no longer there, so I was dealing with some new people. I hate not having my old guy there because I feel that I get a hard time because I am a girl. They had told me that I need to have my rear brakes replaced (which I have brake pads already) and rotors replaced. They were going to charge me $200 to install the brakes and $85 for each rotor. They recommended that I replace my cam adjuster seals and valve cover gasket at $700 and was told my timing belt may need to be changed soon ($1500). I am currently at 65K right now. Do you think this is overpriced? Where else can I take my car that is in Orlando?

Second and last issues...
My car has been in the shop before because it would have a hard time starting if the gas was 1/3 tank or less. They replaced the fuel pump, but it still gave the same problem. Now (in addition) the problem is that when I turn the car off and it is low on gas it make this popping or pinging sound. Sounds like it is coming from the back of the car. Also the other day it was making a high pitched humming sound (from the engine) until it was warm. Can anyone tell me what this may be? I have an extended warranty that covers most things (except wear and tear), so I am planning on keeping the car at least for another year.

Please help!
Old 09-05-2006, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes. Prices are high. Find an indy shop. Dealers suck.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default wow dealer suggested a t-belt job. They might not be so bad after all.

but yeah...find an indy shop to do the maintenance items. Things like seals and gasket should be covered by warranty and so should that starting issue (whatever it might turn out to be).
Old 09-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default If it's an '01 then it is out of warranty, which is likely why the dealer correctly suggested:

the TB change.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

she states the car is under warranty.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default If its under warranty why replace it now? Replace it when its stated to be changed

at 80k service i believe???

If it breaks before then and you've done all your service then youre covered... iirc
Old 09-05-2006, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yes, but a limited warranty -- normal wear and tear are not included and

the timing belt would be in that category. However replacing cam adjuster seals and valve cover gasket at 65k does not sound like normal wear and tear to me...
Old 09-05-2006, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I thought the same way, but then sanity prevailed.

1) It would have to be done anyway
2) Didn't want the damage and didn't like the idea of someone rebuilding the engine.
3) Repair would take a long time
4) It could snap any time any place and may be more than inconvenient. (long trips are a gamble).
Old 09-05-2006, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm at 68K... no replace... yet ;-)

But its my A4 thats soon going up for sale and the TT to take its place... so if it breaks it breaks... tehyll repair it and ill sell the car

I'm curious how many really do GO before 80K, anyone know?
Old 09-05-2006, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default But if its not in the "list" of things to be replaced untill a certain point

in the cars life (ie. 80k) then i think they would have to cover the repair/rebuild

Quick Reply: Advice needed for TT repairs