TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Advice, please

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 12:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice, please

Hello!
I just registered on the forums in hope that I'll be clarified with some details regarding an Audi TT mk1, 1.8 T.
I'm considering buying this model as my first car. I've found some pretty good offers as well. But because of some personal issues as well as some other doubts, I request your help regarding some very specific questions.
As I said I've found some good offers (around 7K euro, 80K KM). But the price seems very low for some cars, and higher for others which apparently have almost the same characteristics. From what I've heard on other forums, most turbines need replacing at around 80K km. So could this be a reason for the low price on some of the cars? That they are in need of immediate repairs or parts changing?
Another q.: How are the maintenance costs, and the reliability of this car? Again I've heard some sources say that the turbine is a bit dodgy especially on the earlier models (those are the one which I'm going for). Are there any other common issues?
Other clarifications: Is the steering wheel telescopically adjustable? How hard is it to press the clutch pedal?
Any help regarding any of the questions would be greatly appreciated, and thank you for your time in reading this.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So much depends on how the car was driven and serviced before you buy it.

If memory serves, 80,000 KM is about 50,000 miles. I doubt you will have turbo issues if the oil was changed appropiatly and the engine was allowed to cool down after driven hard.

Around 100,000 KM the timing belt needs to be changed, at the same time, replace the water pump, belt tensioners, leaking seals, accessory belt. Think 1000 Euros.

Reliability is probably average for a european car and is dependant on how well it is maintained and how it is driven. If you drive hard, things will break.

Unless your handy and willing to get your hands dirty, I don't think the TT is a good first car. Japanese cars offer good reliabilty, just not so much fun to drive.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Hey

Interesting reply... I was also thinking of an Astra 2.2 coupe. Heard they were pretty reliable and it fits within my budget.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Edit: Astra G model