TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Advise on buying a TT

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise on buying a TT

Hi Experts,

I am on the market for a pre-owned TT and am wondering if you have any advise regarding the performance, reliability, and the market value to share.

Also it'd be great appreciate if someone can advise any checklist available, and what is the boost level for the TT180 vs TT225.

FYI my budget is around $18k and am looking for a 99-2002 TT.

Thanks much in advance.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Advise on buying a TT

I am planning to get a coupe, and am also wondering if there is any rattling / leak when the car getting more miles (i.e. 70k+ miles).
Old 04-23-2006, 11:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Based on your criteria, you are in good shape. Look for the following:

Low mileage, around 40 to 50K

Clean maintenance history, including all required maintenance and dealer history

Clean carfax report

Shop around

When you buy your car, it will probably need the following:

A timing belt/waterpump/serpantine belt replacement

new shocks

new tires

Spend some time on this forum and decide whether you want a modified car.

Old 04-24-2006, 01:22 AM

performance: so so
reliability: own the car for almost 3 years, only went to dealer for regular maintenance
the market value: if you take a very good care of it, the value will stay good.

all these based on my experience with my tt. I am sure there are others who bad experiences with their tt.

if you want 2001 tt with 2006 interior condition (and still smell new too) and only 33000 mileage, bid on my car, it will be on auction sometime next month or couple of weeks.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default no leaks, but mystery clunks are common

clunking from the rear is common. Sway bar links are the culprit I think. And sometimes clunking in the front. Rattles are common with the rear deck shelf (I simply removed mine).

No leaks to speak of.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I had a new rattle every other week, others had

no problems at all. There are some cars around here that are quite advanced in miles... but are holding together great.

ymmv
Old 04-24-2006, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you don't want a TT that's been hit and then totaled, then don't bid on his TT next month

or in couple weeks...
Old 04-24-2006, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'd say:

Plan on spending a little more than your budget

Get a 2002 because it really seems they are built better (most of the bugs have been worked out)

Plan on living with some little quirks, like squeaks, and rattles (the big squeaks and rattles you'll have to spend money and and time to get fixed--lots of resources here to help you minimize both time and money)

Get it from a dealer and make sure it is Audi Certified Pre Owned (CPO). Research the dealer before you buy.

Understand going in to this, that you are not buying a Honda, and it will not be just a car that you maintain. You will have things break.

Other than that, enjoy your decision and the fact that you have one of the best designed cars in the history of cars. IMHO...

Plan on the car depreciating because that's what cars do. Unless you're going to keep it for 30 years, and then you may be able to see the value return. You may...

Oh and the boost level on my stock 225 was around 5-12. Now that it's Revo'd, it's 12-24 (which is on the high end of the chipped 1.8 spectrum from what I've been told--so far no problems though (xx crosses fingers) )

Good Luck!
Old 04-24-2006, 06:44 AM

Take a look at mine! 2001 225 quattro with 45k miles. I have had all of the services done at an Audi dealer, and my car is in very good condition.

Selling to save money for my wedding...sadly (sad to sell not for the wedding... ). I'm looking for just a little bit more than you have budgeted but would be happy to talk with you or send you pictures if you are interested.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:10 AM

Default people never fail to amaze me.... sell a car to pay for a one time event like a wedding!?!

and when I say "people" I mainly mean "women."

Quick Reply: Advise on buying a TT