TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Aftermarket warranty questions --->> Please chime in

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket warranty questions --->> Please chime in

My car is modded a good bit, k04, intake, exhaust, springs, shocks. I am wondering if say the turbo or tans goes out and or a pricey repair what are the odds that the warranty company will come out to inspect the car? Are there any ways to avoid them coming out? And obviously if anyone knows of a good warranty that has been known to be laid back that would be a plus. Thanks
Old 02-19-2008, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My guess is you will end up not being covered and paying more for the insurance >

of having a warranty in the end. Say you pay 3k for 3 years, thats pretty much saying your expecting one major problem in those 3 years. Honestly if you take care of you car and do the work yourself I don't think there is a reason to have a warranty. The most major thing I have ever busted on my car is my clutch/pp/flywheel setup & I did the work myself, totaled about $700 of parts, now I'm seeing the same parts even cheaper though so who knows! Also the clutch is a wear & tear part so I don't know if it's covered. Kinda like brakes.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Expert

The companies that are lax on fraud are also the ones that go out of business.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The company I had for 4 years just went out of business........

I guess they went out of business because they rarely checked on anything being replaced on mine, except at the very end.

On the last thing they paid for on mine before it went over 100K they finally sent an inspector. They then took bunches of pictures and noted the high levels of mods, but paid for the claim.

They just went out of business.

So, my guess is that your mileage will vary with the company you go with.

While I did not lose any money if I did this again I would buy through a dealer and just suck up the markup knowing it would be the dealer I was buying from and not the warranty company.

Good Luck.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Banned

Default See inside

You want a decent warranty company, so they don't fight you for B.S. reasons on every claim, and are around long enough to pay claims since they did not go Chapter 11!

So that means if they are decent, they are smart businesspeople, and they protect their interests. So for a big claim, it's better than 50% chance inspector will come out.

K04's slide by all the time....they look, to almost everyone, the same as a K03. Inspectors are rarely "car guys" like us...they don't know to look for K04 vs. K03, if car came with Stoptechs or not, etc.

So the things they catch, and may deny payment for, are more bling than anything else. Lots of polished intake, Samco hoses, very big blingy wheels, lous exhaust, etc. If your mods are subtle in outward appearance (chip, K04, brakes, etc) then you stand a good chance of sneaking by. And if the claim is big enough, and you get notice of an inspector coming, it makes sense to go back to stock for the time of the claim.

There is no way to avoid an inspection, but good mechanics have ways of phrasing things (blown TC, we see these all the time in this model" that can help lessen the odds.

Bruce