TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Air temperature display wackiness

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Air temperature display wackiness

I'm having some issues with my outside air temperature ever since I put my dash back together last night. Took the entire lower dash assembly off (drivers, center, and passenger) and ran some wiring for my carputer.

Yesterday and this morning I had no temperature display at all. Later this afternoon there was a value but it said it was -36 deg F! +36 is pretty damn cold for around here As I drove the value went up, by the time I got to work (around 30 minutes) it had gone up to -18 deg F.

Could I have forgotten to connect or cable? Did I bump a cable? The battery was disconnected for about a day if that is any correlation.

I did notice that my display was missing more lines than usual after reconnecting my battery and starting the car - the longer it was on the more that came back - as usual. My RPM gauge stuck for a split second too when I started my car this morning. Looks like I'm probably going to be looking for a cluster soon but I think that may be unrelated. :/
Old 02-19-2008, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car running OK?
Old 02-19-2008, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Air temperature display wackiness

My car is running fine. Perhaps my original post was a little confusing - I mean the ambient outside air temperature display. The middle section of the display (where the temp usually is) was completely blank. It showed up later and it said -36 deg fahrenheit. Since then it's still in the negative range. It's weird that it wasn't showing up at all though...

As far as engine temperature readings go... they're perfectly fine.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Air temperature display wackiness

I found this link from one of the people who post here. It has alot of data that can be useful to you and your TT. Primarily, there is a way to use your Climate Control Unit to see different sensors in your car, in your case the outside air temp sensor. Look in the index and you will find the "how to" and later down the document what each number is for what sensor you want to look at.
This will at least tell you of the sensor is working or the Dashpod is having trouble.<ul><li><a href="http://www.wikitt.org/wikiTT/images/f/fc/TTweakers-Guide.pdf">http://www.wikitt.org/wikiTT/images/f/fc/TTweakers-Guide.pdf</a</li></ul>