TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

All season tires for TTR in Boston

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2001, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All season tires for TTR in Boston

Hi all,

Any advice on what kind of All season's I should get for my TTR? My factory Hi performance tires don't seem to be up to the task of a New England winter....any comments about wheels would be appreciated too...

Thanks...
Old 01-02-2001, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You may want to consider a more serious winter tire..

especially since you are in Boston. The consensus from forum members is that even an all-season tire is not good enough for the TT.

I have went with the Michelin Pilot Alpins (live in NJ), a good combination of performance and poor weather control. I would have went with the Dunlop wintersport M2s, but they where going to take a while to get here.

My recommendation would be to go to Tirerack.com and do some research there. But act quickly, I have played the waiting game and have found it is difficult to get winter tires this late in the season.
Old 01-02-2001, 08:53 AM

Default Try The Blizzak LM-22- They Survived 50" of snow in December In Milwaukee!

I have lived through Milwaukee's snowiest December ever (50 inches of snow) and the Blizzaks got me through everything without a problem. They are great in snow and slush and are supposed to be longer wearing than the Blizzak all-out snow tire. I got mine mounted on Miglia Spider wheels from TireRack for around $1200.
Old 01-02-2001, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Love the plain black stteelies, for wheels!
Old 01-02-2001, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just check my sig....
Old 01-02-2001, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto ditto, LM-22 & Miglia Spiders, but I paid under $1k from Tirerack...
Old 01-02-2001, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Still Loving my Nokians, and it's been a rough winter here in Chicago so far!

Read my earlier post below...<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/forum/m.new/tt/msgs/158560.phtml">https://www.audiworld.com/forum/m.new/tt/msgs/158560.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 01-02-2001, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'm in Somerville, and opted for a second set of wheels.

So I'm on Mille Miglias & Dunlop M2s for $1000. Tire Rack was out of steel wheels, otherwise I would have saved $200. I do like the Mille Miglias, however.

No doubt good all-seasons would perform fine year-round. This is my first winter w/ snow tires on any car I've owned, but I've yet to get a chance to really test how good they are compared to my previous FWD/All-season tires equiped cars.

Thing is, Boston doesn't really get that much snow anyways. You'd probably get by just fine on all-seasons, the rest of the city seems to. I just wouldn't want the performance loss in the summer compared to 2 dedicated sets of tires.

Ronak
Old 01-02-2001, 01:45 PM

Default Re: I'm in Somerville, and opted for a second set of wheels.

Thanks for the advice all....I will be going with 2 sets of tires, probally the LM-22 or Pirelli Winters, depending on how fast I can get either and Factory wheels...I'll put cool new wheels on the summer tires, since I've already crunched the clearcoat on these, with these city curbs and my being used to parking a Land Rover.
Also, mainly because for work I drive north out of the city where we got 8" last week and I do need to travel a bit for work this winter....and I'd hate to leave the "kid" at home... Keep an eye open for me.... TTR Q Raven/Optic...
Mark
Old 01-02-2001, 01:49 PM

Default Re: I'm in Somerville, and opted for a second set of wheels.

PS - I'm in Somerville as well....They don't plow that intersection of McGrath and Highland very well....I went skating right through it in that first snow we had....So gimme some waffle stomper squeegee go treads for my TT.... WooHoo...

Quick Reply: All season tires for TTR in Boston