TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Almost lost it yesterday (long)...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2001, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost lost it yesterday (long)...

I was backing my TT out of the garage yesterday. I knew that I was a little further over to the left than I normally park, but I always check the clearance between my driver's side mirror and the garage door frame before I back all of the way out.

By the time I realized that I was way too close to the garage door frame it was too late. I hit the brakes as the mirror came up flush to the wooden frame of my garage. By this time, my door was about 4-6 inches to the door frame with my mirror caught flush. I pressed the clutch to move forward and the car lurched backwards (damn gravity!!!). My driveway has a slight decline.

I tried one more time to move forward and the door frame taught me that the mirror is designed to hyperextend toward the front of the car if this type of obstacle is encountered.

I stopped for a second and contemplated my next move. I engaged the parking brake to stop my rearward motion. With right foot on gas and left foot on clutch, I released the clutch--riding it as I released the parking brake. I pulled the car into the garage to survey the damage.

Thank goodness, no damage, just a little white paint on the edge of the mirror. The mirror simply rotated back into place.

I didn't know the mirrors rotated that way. Thank you Audi design engineers
Old 10-19-2001, 05:27 AM

Glad you kept your head in a crisis. How's the new job going?
Old 10-19-2001, 08:21 PM

Default It's going fine...

I'm in training--slowing being brainwashed that Lexus cars are designed in heaven and assembled by angels.

I must admit that after driving around in the entire Lexus lineup, I could make some very salient design recommendations on the TT that wouldn't cost a whole lot.

I haven't sold my TT yet. I'm still debating on whether or not to keep it.

Thanks for the reply.