TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

And another thing - Golf GTIs/VR6s

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-1999, 07:52 AM
rob b

Default And another thing - Golf GTIs/VR6s

Why is it that every Golf GTI/VR6 driver is a complete ********? They all want a race, wear baseball caps and rugby shirts with the collar turned up and all clearly have small penises. When will they learn that the TT is a quicker car and **** off back to Fulham?
Old 12-20-1999, 08:15 AM
John TT

Default I've put more than one in there place by outsprinting them in my ...

Tacoma!! (190 hp V6 & and a boat load of low end torque)
Old 12-20-1999, 08:19 AM
garyc

Default When they slot the 180bhp unit into the GTI and when the V6 4wd hits the streets, that sort you refe

refer to will take a more determined shake off! you are right about the max powered types though, although I didn't know they could afford Fulham house prices. On a similar note, have you noticed a tendancy for 'them' to drive with front fog lights on in all conditions? It is irratating. One sees a lot of cars with rear fogs on and that I usually put down to ignorance/unawareness. The front fogs bit baffles mme though. Sometimes it is with sidelights only and fogs at night. 9 times out of 10 it is a young male. Is it some sort of statement; are they in the BTCC; are are they just plebs? Perhaps I should just mind my own business.
Old 12-20-1999, 08:45 AM
JIm Torongo

Default I had a Yellow Golf race me this summer when I was riding my VFR750...

The car was surprisingly fast but it was really no contest. I'm not at all sure the TT could have out run this VW which was heavily modified,and quite nicely done I might add. How these younger people can afford such modified cars is a bit of a mystery to me since I modified junk on the cheap at that point in my life(hope they appreciate what they have). I think you said it they are young and when I was their age I did things that were equally wierd. Clueless in the 70s, and doing things to cars that made no sense at all in hind sight. A large group are into the Civic, GSR thing and of course a lot of VWs, and I have to say misquided as they may be, they are more with it than I was 28 years ago (at 20). JIM
Old 12-20-1999, 09:05 AM
Jenner

Default "How these younger people can afford such modified cars is a bit of a mystery to me" An answer....

Hey Jim. I'm 22 and I own a Quattro TT have done a few things to it(chip, springs, $2000 in stereo parts and labor and another $3000 on the way). I currently live alone(no wife/kids/girlfriend to suck away money) in a small 2 floor cottage(plenty big for just me) And yes I do have money saved in the bank/stock market. My 2nd car is 1990 Jeep Cherokee with 140,000 miles on it. It is not worth more than $4000. I am sure the TT is a 3rd car for others and the other cars in their fleet include a newer expensive SUV and a larger family car(A4/A6 type) I didn't blow my cash on just the TT alone and have to sleep in it each night and eat rice for dinner every night. I think I do pretty well for only being 22.

What makes this possible? The internet of course.
The people with a huge grasp/understanding of computers and the internet right now are my generation. Corporate America throws money at us because we can make them tons of money designing software, e-commerce, whatever you want, but the money comes from the computer industry and the internet.

Back in the 70's I don't think 21-23 year old college grads were offered the equivalent of $50k-$60k starting salary. And what expenses does a 21-23 year college grad have other than cost of living, food, cable TV, clothes, and beer ? That leaves a good chunk of change left for a car payment, car insurance, gas and savings account.

At least this is my point of view on the matter. There is a large amount of money being offered to people with the right skills. I happen to be in the right college major at the right time...

BUT, I have been to car many shows where kids(16-18) have totally pimped out RX-7's and Mustangs etc. All the windows are tinted, huge aftermarket stereo, chrome rims etc. They have lots of gold jewelry on you get the drift. They don't look college educated, they don't look like they are in the computer/IT industry. Those, I can only guess that its family or drug/illegal(stolen?) money. These are the ones that are the mystery to me.

-Jenner
'00 180QX TT Garrett, H&R Sport Springs
Old 12-20-1999, 09:21 AM
perry

Nice to see someone other than myself over 40 riding a VFR.(nt)
Old 12-20-1999, 09:52 AM
Jim Torongo

Default Very interesting, my dropping out of college didn't help but there does seem to be a better

job market for almost everyone right now. We have a real hard tome finding good people, or people period, for that matter. Not the case in 1973 at least for me. If there was a long way around the barn the I took it. But in the long run you are in a race only with yourself. I am almost to the promised land now, soon both my boys will be trough college and alot of stuff is paid for. So I'm on the other side from you; but there are alot of things similar about our life styles I'm sure. I didn't get married (for the first time) until I was 26 but didn't have any extra back then. The TT is one of the things I did for me, and it is a special car for that reason because it represents something to me that is about me. When my kids were little I worked and went to night school 4 days a week. During this time I had no money, went without lunch as a matter of routine(couldn't afford it). All this was my doing, well and truly, no two lives are the same, but they are better if they involve a TT. JIM
Old 12-20-1999, 10:10 AM
Jim T

'94 red with a Micon Exhaust/ how about you ?
Old 12-20-1999, 10:42 AM
Jenner

Default Well said! And I think its great that you are so happy where you are and how you got there!

And yes, life is better with a TT in it.

I like that line..I'll have to use it.

-Jenner
'00 180QX TT Garrett, H&R Sport Springs
Old 12-20-1999, 03:34 PM
Geoffrey

Default Re: And another thing - Golf GTIs/VR6s

I just traded in my silver 2000 VR6 Golf for the
TT, to be honest I think the VR6 was by far a faster car more linear gearing ratio very smooth and very fast - I dont think I ever floored it in 5, if I did I would be up around 230 - 240 kms I would be in the serious redline in the TT sorry folks but once i'm TT'd out I'm going back to the VR6 ( used to own a VR 6 Corrado ) so they feel like home to me.the TT looks a lot faster than it actual is : )

Quick Reply: And another thing - Golf GTIs/VR6s