TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Another track day goes down as a success...and that's not just for the R8 sighting at PIR either:)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another track day goes down as a success...and that's not just for the R8 sighting at PIR either:)

Yes folks, another track day has been here and gone way too fast. All went well with the new tire and brake pad setup (Falken 615s and Hawk HT-10s (front) and Blues (rear)). I must say, these pads took off a couple hundred feet to my distance needs for breaking. I'd say half of that was the pads, the other half was the confidence they give by being there every time. Right around 300-400 feet I could burry that sucker to the ground and be more than ready for my turn-in. Conjoined with the new tires, I was a happy camper...until my brake fluid decided to take a vacation and my brakes got too squishy. Nothing like pressing the pedal to the floor and having NOTHING happen Good times.

The R8...WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He came out of nowhere. No one said anything about him being there, or why. He just rolled in off the street, with his "Manufacturer" tags on, and stole the friggin' show! No one cared about any of the 5 or 6 Lotus (or Loti?), the half dozen Lambos and Ferraris, nor any of the other "regular" exotics. No my friends, EVERYONE was focused on the R8. As well they should be...that car is sex on wheels. Pure, unadulterated fornication on 295 R19s. I was in love

One sad note: my best friend's Rally Golf (which was a full frame-off custom rebuild with multiple upgrades and custom engine/performance mods) seized it's motor He was having a voltage issue at the very end of his lapping, as he was pulling off onto the paddock, and about 15 feet rolling off the track the engine seized and shut down Very sad for such an amazing limited build one of a kind car. Especially since he was running it VERY well on the track all day too. So we'll see what happens here in the next couple days after we cool our heals from today and let our heads wrap around what to do with her. Very sad.

Anyway, just thought I'd let you all know the TT did great yet again. Successfully held off an M6 and kept pace with a number of the Ferraris and 911 in the corners. The straights are another story for my sad little stock turbo She tries really hard though Those Loti eat everyone alive out there though. Those little bastards are fast!
Old 08-02-2007, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, you're need to tell me that it all didn't happen, april fools right?
Old 08-02-2007, 08:13 PM

Swear to God. No joke. Big day. Lot's of fun
Old 08-02-2007, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I knew I should have gone to that track day. I hate you, for your eyes have seen the light.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:42 PM

Yes they have...and my crotch needed a towel.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default R8!! Awesome! I missed a Carrera GT at the track by one day.

I was at the track this last Saturday and the Carrera GT was there driving the track on Sunday. Somebody I know got to be the guy's instructor for the day. Am I jealous? You'd better believe it!!!

Do you ever shoot in-car videos of your track days? If so I'd love to see them. I also remember the first time I used track pads at the track... and wow what a difference. I swap mine out for every event now.

What track? Where are you at?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sounds like a *very* good day at the track . .
Old 08-02-2007, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Same experience here with the carbotech racing pads...awesome stopping power, boiled the fluid.

Yes, I know it's a sign of inexperience at the track, but going gonzo on those last few runs and stomping the brakes was fun, and not having a pedal afterward gave me a chance to practice that smoothness I learned about.... : )

I just hope others 1. use fresh racing brake fluid and 2. know the limitations of whatever brake setup they're running. I boiled my fresh racing fluid with race pads and AP Racing brakes/rotors. Certainly good to learn your car's limitations, which, if you haven't been out on the track in your TT, are surprisingly high!
Old 08-03-2007, 01:34 AM

Default I wouldn't say it's inexperience at all. I know plenty of pro drivers out there who do the same

thing. I think if you are smoking your fluid because you are pushing your car hard, but not going off-line or off-track, you are driving well and under control. Just because you cooked your fluid doesn't mean you did anything wrong. Of course, you could have done LOTS wrong and cooked the fluid too, but I'm going to hold my tongue on that one
Old 08-03-2007, 01:36 AM

Default There was a Carrera GT there too today, but I can honestly say the R8 garnered more attention. That

GT has been around before, so it's old news I'd still take it if he gave it to me...and buy 5 R8s! Joking of course.

Quick Reply: Another track day goes down as a success...and that's not just for the R8 sighting at PIR either:)