TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Any views on 18inch wheels on TT cabriolet?

Old 09-24-2017, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Any views on 18inch wheels on TT cabriolet?

Hi
I have a TT MK1 Cabriolet Quartro. I have been running with 17 inch wheels for years, but never really liked the stock rims. I would like to move to 18 inch as I think they make the car look better, but I am concerned about the resulting harder ride.
The car is running with Eibach sport springs, so it is slightly lowered and a bit firmer than stock. I like the balance in the current suspension. If this was a coupe, I would not have any concerns, but with the less structural stiffness in the cabriolet, I am concerned, so I am looking for some input.
I live in the Atlanta area, and are open to some experiment, if someone is interested in how the car would drive whit 18 inch wheels, Eibach sprints, and the Koni FSD shocks, let me know.

Last edited by Johnbach; 09-25-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Johnbach
Hi
I have a TT MK1 Cabriolet Quarttro. I have been running with 17 inch wheels for years, but never really liked the stock rims. I would like to move to 18 inch as I think they make the car look better, but I am concerned about the resulting harder ride.
The car is running with Eibach sport springs, so it is slightly lowered and a bit firmer than stock. I like the balance in the current suspension. If this was a coupe, I would not have any concerns, but with the less structural stiffness in the cabriolet, I am concerned, so I am looking for some input.
I live in the Atlanta area, and are open to some experiment, if someone is interested in how the car would drive whit 18 inch wheels, Eibach sprints, and the Koni FSD shocks, let me know.
I see quite a few members reading this, but could I get someone to share some experience?

Thanks
Old 09-27-2017, 06:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I'm actually on the other side of this I have 18s and plan to get 17s. To me 17 is the best wheel size for performance, comfort and price.

When I got the car it came with 225/40r18 tires I immediately replaced them with 225/45s but I still think I need a bit extra tire because I drive in really bad roads (mostly).

At the end of the day is your money and your car bud, so don't let anyone else deside.

What do YOU want?
Looks? then go with 18s.
Better price and overall functionality? Go with 17s and with the money you save buy better (performance) tires.

My 2 cents hope they help.

Last edited by heavy49; 09-27-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by heavy49
Hello,

I'm actually on the other side of this I have 18s and plan to get 17s. To me 17 is the best wheel size for performance, comfort and price.

When I got the car it came with 225/40r18 tires I immediately replaced them with 225/45s but I still think I need a bit extra tire because I drive in really bad roads (mostly).

At the end of the day is your money and your car bud, so don't let anyone else deside.

What do YOU want?
Looks? then go with 18s.
Better price and overall functionality? Go with 17s and with the money you save buy better (performance) tires.

My 2 cents hope they help.
Thanks for the input. I am going for better looks, and as I mentioned, I don't really like my stock rims, and looking for replacements there seems to be a lot more to chose from among the 18 inch. I like the general performance of the 17 inch wheels, and didnt want to get the ride to harsh. I guess the best option here would be to find new 17 inch wheels.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you could get wider(and lighter) 17s with different offset to make em' look deep and flush. I remember reading 17x8.5 is the widest the front part will acomodate without having to modify anithing, but don't take my word for it double check.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 124 Likes on 90 Posts

I have 18x8 on my TT Coupe. 225/40-18. It rides like a buckboard wagon.. This is also caused by the fact I also run ST coilovers, which are pretty stiff as well. I don't think the 18s would make much difference between being a coupe or 'vert. Going to 18s and a shorter tire would just require you (for comfort sake) to drive a little more cautious around bumps/holes, etc.