TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Anyone in the CA bay area have time to help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone in the CA bay area have time to help?

hey guys, I'm nearing the end of my rope with my TT, I'm getting a terrible boost leak (air wooshing out) sound and i can't figure out what is wrong with it. I've taken the car to both Anderson and Carlsen and both say they can hear the sound, but can't figure out what it is either. I've replaced the DV and this didn't fix the problem. I also did a few VAG-tool runs with an S4 friend and the car is making boost. We didn't know what else to check.

So, if anyone here REALLY knows this car and can help me diagnose this thing, i'd be mucho obliged. I'm thinking beers somewhere toi celebrate the thing working correctly again. If anyone can help and has ANY time this week I could really use some help.

Dave
(fed up with dealerships who can't find problems)

00 S4
01 225 TT-r
Old 08-05-2002, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would help but I am on the wrong coast.....Come on someone...help a guy/gal out
Old 08-05-2002, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sean... use the scroll button, his name is Dave! ;-)
Old 08-05-2002, 08:33 AM

ok...well help DAVE out.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

:-)
Old 08-05-2002, 08:41 AM

Default I'm no mechanic, but am in the Bay Area...

I've personnaly been happy with the service at Diablo in Concord. It may be out of your way, but might be worth the drive to get your problem fixed. The tech there is Chris... if you go, tell him that Evan recommended the dealership. (No, I don't get anything for it!)

If you really want to avoid dealers, then go to Griffin Motorwerke in Berkeley. Top-notch folks over there, perhaps they could diagnose the problem.

Not sure what else to suggest. Perhaps you could describe the problem in detail and someone here can offer suggestions.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:50 AM

Default is your car mod'ed? how can the dealer just say "cant find it"

if the leak is audible, any mechanic worth his salt should be able to find a location using an auto-stethoscope (or even a rubber tube). im incredulous that two dealers just said the cudnt diagnose it.

if VAG readings say you are making boost (absolute manifold pressure, i assume?) then you've gotta be making boost (unless the pressure sensor is shot, but the readings should make that obvious).

i'd be willing to take a look before you take your car in to griffin (berkeley). terry is a good guy there, i would recommend him too, but it is a long drive for me. ATP knows their stuff too, in Fremont. im in palo alto (home), redwood city (work), not that i'm promising anything, since the dealers cudnt find it. but hey, i'd be willing to look. dealers may just not wanna deal with because no CEL was thrown, who knows.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ok, problem in detail:

At about 3500-4000rpm while accelerating, i hear a loud "wooshing sound", this isn't the normal turbo spool sound; everyone who has heard it before says it's not a "normal sound" at all. This happens both while the car is stock AND while GIAC'd, so i don't think it's an ECU problem. Basically there is little difference between stock and GIAC, so my gut feeling is that there is a leak somewhere.

One thing that frustrates me is that the VAG-Tool shows that the car is making boost (the actual meets the requested boost). The DV has been replaced, so i don't know where to go next. I'm leary of the dealerships as they really have a "if it's not easy to find the problem, we're not gonna fix it" mentality. I had Rector say they heard the problem, but couldn't find it suggesting instead that we wait to see if it gets bad enough to throw a code. I had anderson say that the chip was causing too much boost (i was stock at the time). I had Carlsen say they heard a problem, then they mysteriously didn't hear it later in the day and returned the car without it being fixed.

So, if anyone has any ideas, please let me know what you think. Maybe we could do a group lunch this week somewhere in the South Bay so you guys can hear this.

dave
BTW, i live and work in SJ, but i'm willing to go anywhere around the area if someone can help.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yep, what Evan said about Terry Griffin
Old 08-05-2002, 11:37 AM

I third it! Terry is awesome.