TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Argh! seriously shoot me.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Argh! seriously shoot me.

I posted about a slight stumble in my car in the high revrange....

I unplugged the maf, nothing changed...

So I'm sure its the coilpacks.

One problem down, one more to figure out...

I'm STILL having major boost loss... I'll hammer it in 3rd on the interstate and my boost shoots up to 20lbs or so, and then it will hold it for a second and fall down to 10 and hold it...

Could this be my coilpacks as well. It does it with the maf unplugged and plugged... I checked for boost leaks, nothing. Its getting REALLY annoying that its been like a year and I still can't nail this down. It seems to have gotten worse since the weather has been better.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default sounds like you have a boost leak too.

GIAC hates boot leaks. pressure test.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default check ALL your hoses

there are a baxillion. check em. i had leaks at the fpr, at the hose on top of the charge air intake pipe, on the bottom and only when the car was warm (hence warming the rubber enough to expand and leak).
Old 02-26-2007, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 2nd everything he said

tons of hoses. and i also have had tons of leaks, many in the same spots. in fact i'm chasing one down right now. some leak when hot, some leak when cold. this is why many people hate turbos.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Any hot spots to check.

I just went around with a screwdriver tightening stuff, but I didn't really know what I was tighetening.

my FPR hose has zipties on it to hold it on, they are really tight, but could that be a problem?!
Old 02-26-2007, 04:16 PM

Default I have a similar thing going on...

I've been trying to figure this out for a long time as well. I also have Giac. I've hit 22-24lbs of boost...it's held there for a bit...then around 4000-4500 rpms it drops to somewhere between 10 and 14lbs and holds. I thought it was a leak. $500 later, my tuner said there was no leak and that the car was actually running quite well! Great. Got reflashed as well which did nothing. I recently put in a new MAF - didn't help. I received new coilpacks about a week ago, but have yet to install them. Those will probably go in sometime in April.

There's been a few guys here with a similar thing to what you have going on. I've been told that it *could* be the Giac program dialing back boost to save the turbo a bit. I called AWE...they told me that that didn't sound quite right. So I'm left with nothing but ????? until the coilpacks go in.

Please post if you figure out what's going on!! And good luck!
Old 02-26-2007, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default You won't find leaks without a pressure tester...

Split hoses, cracks, etc are often not detectable by eye..
Old 02-26-2007, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default steve-o is right, i just replaced anything suspect. most of it was that old braided crap

which audi has since updated. there were a couple actual part numbered hoses too. start replacing.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default READ THIS

Since we are in PRECICELY the same boat, we MUST keep in touch, I've tried all that you have. And you've GOOOOOOOOOT to tell me if you find something I haven't

I called Imagine Auto and asked if it could have been a bad file and they pretty much said, 100% not possible.

I'll have new coilpacks by march 10th. Maybe thats it.

Vanhalenman@aol.com

Let me know if you hear any ideas. Nothing seems to work. N75's MAF's tightening everything, nothing works.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default And blindly "tightening screws" could lead to cracking hoses. They don't usually leak around the

fitting, they leak in a split or crack in a hose. A fragile hose could split if you tighten the clamp on it...

Quick Reply: Argh! seriously shoot me.