TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Arghh...the nightmare of nightmares!!! Pitching a 20 mil deal tomorrow, out of town and I left...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arghh...the nightmare of nightmares!!! Pitching a 20 mil deal tomorrow, out of town and I left...

the battery for my laptop at the client...why do these fargin laptops have such poor battery life...need to conserve...need to conserve
Old 02-26-2003, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I know the feeling... Just Yesterday ..........

Just yesterday I've got a group of 20 managers in a room at the Hickory Ridge Conference Center in Lisle. I put all information, pictures, slides etc. on my hard drive because logging in and running certain network files is too much trouble.

Get ready to hook the Dell C600 up to the lightbox and turn the laptop on.....I get "Hard Disk Failure" and beeps.

You may have a short battery, but can hook up to electrical power I hope. What do you do if you have a hard drive failure?

I had one hard copy of all my stuff, along with scribbled notes. Down to the business center and 20 copies of about 100 pages each and we were going again.

Gotta Have a Backup Plan.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:42 PM

Default Short-term Solution: Pray it starts after a power down.

Ouch. I feel for you man!

Long-term, you can send the drive away to repair people and they will dissect it and remove all information they can extract putting it on a new harddrive. Cost is very high, but worth it for some drives. Email me if you want a name of a company. My father had to do this once last year.

As for me, I have two hard drives in my laptop almost always. Only one is bootable, but if you put your data on the non-bootable drive, you MAY be able to walk into a client with a dead computer and stick the non-bootable, secondary drive into another laptop of the customers or coworkers and get to the data. Just a suggestion.

My laptop has two 30-gig drives in it right now. One has 5gig free. One has 2gig free. All the necessary info gets backed to a hard drive on a desktop sitting in a kitchen cabinet at my house on a periodic basis and the client data also goes up to my company's server in White Plains. I am surprised how many times customers get viruses and call us up for a restore from our backups.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:44 PM

Default That's not a bad thing. ;-)

Most laptop batteries have a lifespan that is shorter than most people think.

IBM laptop batteries tend to die after 12months in my hands. I live with my laptop. It stays plugged in most of the time, but still, that's not enough.

Lithium Ion batteries do not have a memory, but they have a maximum number of charge cycles. At some point, you will not be able to charge them at all.

Mileage my vary, but I find I'm buying a new battery every 12 months.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The good news was that most everything gets backed up to the network each day, so I didn't really

lose alot but my pride and $400 in copying costs. They said they cut me a deal. At least I get Marriott points and can get reimbursed.