TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

arrrgh!! should of bought a japanese car

Old 08-31-2003, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default arrrgh!! should of bought a japanese car

Is anyone else frustrated with the reliability of these so called "luxury" cars? I've had my TT since Feb 03 and already have had inumerable problems: bad ignition coils on 2nd day, faulty fuel sending unit, electrical gremlins, 2 cracked climate control *****, pedal cover popped off,tranny replaced because of 3rd gear grinding, and now I have a dead battery that needs to be replaced. Don't get me wrong, I love the design and handling of my car...but this is just ridiculous! Whatever happened to quality german engineering? I didn't pay nearly 40K to have a car that has the same reliability as a Kia
Old 08-31-2003, 11:20 PM

Default i can't speak for audi's, but....

my 96 bmw lasted me for 110k without ever having a problem...only reason its gone now is because someone decided to slam into me.

Now a proud owner of a TT, I hope i have better luck than you :/
Old 09-01-2003, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sorry to hear. Maybe get it Lemon'ed and get a new one?

Some Audi's like yours are just problematic from the beginning, while most others are just fine... with minor quirks like any car since nothing is perfect. I'd look into Lemon Laws in your state and see if it qualifies.
Old 09-01-2003, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default It's called bad luck

I've had my TT roadster for about two years, and the only problem that I had was a squeak that was promptly taken care of. I'm scheduled to have my ignition coils replaced, but the ones I currently have are performing well. This is my third Audi, and the quality of each one was outstanding. But no matter how good a car brand is in general, there will unfortunately be some cars in any luxury brand that have a lot of problems.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default This seems like a pretty

familiar list with TTs.. Not all are having these problems, but a good deal of people are.. I for one had some issues with my fuel sending unit (replaced once), I also had some issues with my windows, and door (which stopped opening).. In the shop for a total of 3.5weeks..
Old 09-01-2003, 06:38 AM

I agree, if I would have known about the quality of the TT I would have never bought it!!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2003, 06:56 AM

Default Japanese car? read this...

My friend has a celica and every now and then when i am bored I troll over to the celica forums.

Right after I read this thread I went over to the celica forums. (Keep in mined these are the newer 7th gen celicas...2000+)

"ok i'm tried of my celica!! i don't know what is f*ing wrong with it at all! like i've previously posted, i just got my car back from toyota on friday due to a broken IAC Valve and VVT-i Controller. well it's sunday and my CEL (check engine light) came on! like holy s*!

i dunno how much more i can put up with this car..."

It seems like there will always be lemons in the bunch.

How many miles on your car? Sounds like if its still low you can use the lemon law.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:09 AM

Default New FSUs just came in for me, pass. window still messed up, windshield washers just stopped working

I know what you mean.

I think the problem isn't that things break, but that when they do break, they're not fixed right. Either the technicians are complete morons are diagnose the problem incorrectly (I give them some leeway there) or they just blow off the problem and pretend they fixed it... or they end up breaking something else in the process of fixing the one thing! If not the techs, then Audi doesn't try to fix their components, the techs end up installing a newer component with the same flaws as the original.

It's quite silly, but from what I've heard there's bad Jap cars too, and no way I'm going to get another American car. (Though I'm curious to see what the next gen Camaro looks like)
Old 09-01-2003, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A co-worker just got an '03 Celica, already been back to dealer 3 times...

With only 700 miles on it! The CEL kept coming on and they could not figure it out so they just kept resetting it because it was not throwing any errors. The third time she brought it in they finally diagnosed it as a faulty sensor under the gas pedal. No modern car is immune to problems, especially as cars get more complex and include more features, there are bound to be more things that can break or go wrong.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:25 AM
I’m Back

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: I agree, if I would have known about the quality of the TT I would have never bought it!!!!!!!

Though I truly love the lines, interior, an feel of the TT Quattro Roadster, I just bought a Z3 instead. I was looking for months for a good TT and got close on a couple. In the end I just couldn't pull the trigger due to all the comments I read here regarding ongoing reliability issues. I hope to buy one in the future if they get the electronics truly sorted out! For now, I just can't afford to be stranded on the way to the airport or an important meeting.

Thanks all for sharing your experiences with these beautiful cars!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: arrrgh!! should of bought a japanese car