TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Audi 1, Snapping Turtle 0 - Thank you Panzer Plate

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi 1, Snapping Turtle 0 - Thank you Panzer Plate

Ok, so I was driving home from the Sandhills Open Road Challenge (SORC) in Arnold, NE following a pickup truck on a two lane highway with heavy traffic coming the other way and no real shoulder available in NE Nebraska.

The pickup in front of me swerves to drive over something in the road which turned out to be a huge snapping turtle perfectly in line with my right wheels. I can't swerve left due to oncoming traffic and do not have enough shoulder to go to the right of him and definitely don't have the ground clearance to go over like the truck in front of me so the poor Turtle and the Audi went head to head.

I definitely didn't want to hit him with my wheel and luckily had installed a solid aluminum Panzer plate to protect my oil pan last summer.

Needless to say that particular turtle did not win the challenge though it did rip off the back under car plastic panel which I will need to replace. Other than that the car was not damaged and I do not ever want to do that again.