TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

audi 2000 tt bad cluster

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audi 2000 tt bad cluster

Hello, Hope for some insight for replacing instrument cluster with an aftermarket radio previously installed. It is my understanding that my model has an anti theft device that prevents startup if not done properly. looking for procedure to get cluster rebuilt. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old 09-13-2018, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default A confusing post

Originally Posted by rojoproduction
Hello, Hope for some insight for replacing instrument cluster with an aftermarket radio previously installed. It is my understanding that my model has an anti theft device that prevents startup if not done properly. looking for procedure to get cluster rebuilt. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Assuming you are not going to replace your cluster with a radio. Don't try to fix the cluster yourself unless you are fully trained and certified solderer. Most folks end it to Module Masters for a rebuild.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Or Tanin Auto Electric in Racine, Wisconsin.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Old 10-15-2018, 12:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Does it have the anti-theft module or not? That's the question

Hahaha, funny post...or send it to MyAirbags! BUT... your real question was completely different, right?
Rojoproduction had perhaps the best answer so far (except that if you're doing a rebuild you can do it with myairbags)...
What are you really saying?
  • Are you saying that your Cluster is bad, inoperative with dim or dead backlights lights or gauges that don't work?
  • <or>
  • Are you saying that you want to install a radio where your cluster was and tune into your favorite radio station for the latest update on traffic conditions?
  • <or>
  • Are you saying that you want to install a radio AND you want to REPAIR your cluster because it's bad?
  1. QUESTION: Okay, so...is there an anti-theft device on your car? Answer: YES, but, will it affect replacing/repairing your cluster?
    1. ANSWER: '02 Audi TT Immobilizer & Instrument Panel: the '02 Audi TT has the VAG's Immobilizer II technology. This anti-theft device only required the key and ECU to haveidentical code programmed into them for the car to start.
      1. NOTE: After 2001 model TT's, they came with the Immobilizer III which requires that the ECU, Cluster, and Key have the identical code programmed into them for the car to start.
      2. Obviously, switching in a new cluster will have whatever anti-theft code that was associated with the vehicle that it came from for vehicles AFTER 2001, but yours is a 2000 TT.
      3. If you don't know if your TT has the Immobilizer, you can determine which anti-theft you have by turning the key to accessory power and seeing if you get a little key icon on the gauge face. If you get the gauge face icon, you have the anti-theft device.
      4. Without a doubt, you can find out if you have the anti-theft device by just removing the cluster itself and see if the car starts.
      5. BOTTOM LINE: Your vehicle does NOT have the Immobilizer III system and therefore YOUR CLUSTER IS NOT CONNECTED WITH THAT ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM...if you're still worried, do STEP #4 ABOVE AND DOUBLE CHECK. Thanks.
    2. ANSWER PART DUO: Your radio is NOT part of the anti-theft system.

A confusing post Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoproduction
Assuming you are not going to replace your cluster with a radio. Don't try to fix the cluster yourself unless you are fully trained and certified solderer.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's some seriously good information you put out there partner. Thank You. I did not know that. Very Kool! So I have a question. I own an Audi TT 2002 and the cluster panel is a mess, Ie, most lights dont work. I was on the verge of trying to go find one to replace it. Will not do that now. So is the answer, have the old one repaired? Also, how do you reprogram it, if you can?
Old 11-14-2018, 05:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey, JJT, so I checked with my buddies at MyAirbags and they said the following:
The lights not working has nothing to do with programming unless of course someone was already inside and tampered with the data which can affect the behavior and functions of the cluster.
  • We can repair the LCD unit in the middle however if the background lights and diagnostic lights are going bad that means it was most likely tampered with since those are small LEDs soldered into the circuit board and virtually never go bad.
  • We can do a mileage correction on a replacement but it might still need to be coded to the car via OBD scan tool which anyone with a Ross Tech scan tool could do or the dealer.
I hope this helps JJT...have a G-R-E-A-T--DAY-!
Old 11-19-2018, 01:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very Nice. Background and diagnostics lights are fine. Its just that square unit in the middle. Thanks again.
Can you clear this up? Im thinking you meant to say the opposite.

A confusing Post
"the '02 Audi TT has the VAG's Immobilizer II technology. This anti-theft device only required the key and ECU to haveidentical code programmed into them for the car to start"
Or is it:
After 2001 model TT's, they came with the Immobilizer III which requires that the ECU, Cluster, and Key have the identical code programmed into them for the car to start.