TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Audi TT to be discontinued

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lou, I am in NJ as well and my 17 year old son refuses to learn how to drive. My roadster is 18 years old and it only has 23k miles on it. I am somewhat mechanically inclined but he has no interest in learning. I think kids are more focused on computing these days. Given that most cars will be electric within 10 years, I think kids will still modify their cars but it will all be done with software mods. Not dissimilar to how my son modifies games on his pc. It does sadden me that he won’t drive a manual or detail a car. You have to imagine father’s complaining that their son has no interest in learning to ride a horse 120 years ago. We have only had combustion cars for 120 years. Man was riding horses since the beginning of recorded history. Then around 1905.... the horse began its decline and kids didn’t want to change those horse shoes with their dads. All I know is that this TT will remain in my stable for many years.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to see lots of the TT Mark 1 cars around, but I don't see many of the later models. Audi are fools for ditching the design!
Old 06-02-2019, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

As much as I'd agree with you Melchior, 2 door sport coupes are 'dead'. Even something like Golf R has been a 4 door for a few years in North America. Civic SiR is a 4 door... Subaru WRX... BMW... most performance variants of the pedestrian cars are now 4 door models. The 'everyday' consumer traffic is buying SUVs, and performance cars are relegated to a niche variants. Mind you, performance numbers of regular cars are what the performance cars had 20-30 years ago, so the general market had caught up. Most Mills and GenX'ers don't even care to learn to drive (properly). Outside of North America, you can get pretty much what you want in 2 & 4 doors. Manual... a specialty item. Audi don't put one in anymore as people that buy the new cars only want an automatic. Porsche re-instated the manual in some of their models as the demand was there, but no where else... except maybe the VW GTI (but in a 4 door form - bummer). Too many Boomers are buying sporty looking cars w/ autos - for a 'cushy ***' car ride. Hence, Audi will sell what the (paying) market wants.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

So true. Follow the money. Audi can’t sell the product at that price point. If they could make them for a lot less money which is impossible, they may have a market.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Sales numbers for the TT are dismal. Down 40% from last year’s already meager numbers. It was inevitable.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

They tell the story. However, look at a4 sales. That’s the Camry equivalent of the Audi family. It confirms that no sedan is safe in the suv only market. Well, I will try to keep my tt for as long as it doesn’t cost me too much and I can still get in and out of it.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Keeping My TT 2006

Originally Posted by Melchior
Well, the newer ones are hideous. The original Mk 1 is beautiful.
I agree. Only MK1 is beautiful. Now that TT is being discontinued, plus no other car appeals to me, I want to keep my TT forever or as long as I can afford to maintain it.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

I imported mine from Japan as I wanted a sports coupe w/ manual & w/o a video screen in the dash. Always wanted one since they came out, so when I was ready, I managed to get one w low miles in near mint condition for a decently low price as well... Had to redo the interior panels due to Audi using water soluable glue on the trim panel fabric. Humidity caused the fabric to detach. Aside from the usual maintenance items, the car is solid and I plan to be buried in it.... maybe.... LoL.

It's the 'pendulum thing'.... give it a few years. By then the sports car market will get 'warm' again but probably in an engine w/ a battery assist kind of way. The SUV market will morph into a different market eventually.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Look here:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/lexus/lc
Old 06-10-2019, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hideously ugly grill. It's what the new Supra should have been. The new (BMW) Supra should have been called a Celica. Thanks for finding that.

Maybe... The SUV market will morph back to the van craze of the 70ies... LoL... although I'm not sure where to find **** carpet anymore...

Last edited by JoeKan; 06-10-2019 at 07:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Geomeo (06-15-2020)

Quick Reply: Audi TT to be discontinued