TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Audi TT MK1 2002 Fuel Gauge Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi TT MK1 2002 Fuel Gauge Problem

Hey all,
This is my first post in regards to my TT which I recently bought. Ive noticed that the fuel gauge isn't pointing where appropriate and bounces all around the places. Most of the time its permanently stuck in the middle, regardless how much fuel the car has. After a while it gradually starts dropping from the middle point and could go as low as to tell you that the car as 20 miles of fuel left and then it slowly starts rising again. I've researched a lot into what could be causing the problem but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer. Here is some of the stuff which I tried:

Disconnected fuses 15 and 28, switched ignition on, off, pop back the fuses and power on the car. Normally as far as I know that resets the part of the computer that sends out the info about how much fuel the car has. After disconnecting the fuses and switching the car on the fuel gauge still went in the middle instantly, regardless if the fuses were connected or not.

Removed the back seats and unplugged the sensor that goes into the fuel tank thinking the sensor was faulty, however regardless if its connected or disconnected the car doesn't give any different reading.

Some people have said that a new fuel gauge motor needs to be bought, other people fix it manually, some has send their entire dash for refurb, others have said it might be the fuel level sending unit, however as I'm very unsure as nobody else seemed to have exactly the same problem, I thought you guys might point me in the right direction.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a stepper motor or circuit board issue in your cluster. Disconnecting the sender at the tank would send the
needle all the way to the stop, either full or empty.
Best bet would be a cluster service by a firm with testing equipment to validate operation. Also a good time to update
the center info pixel board.
Had mine done by OdoPro in Colorado, 100 bucks.