TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Audi TT Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi TT Reliability?

Well, I have finally qualified for financing to buy a brand new
Audi TT Roadster. O how I have waited and waited, but before I get
too far into debt I want to do my homework and make sure that I
haven't picked a pickle

Anyways, during my research I found that reliability was an issue
with the TT's as well as other Audi models. I have also spoken to
several mechanics and their impression of the Audi TT is grime. I
love the styling and interior of the TT's and that goes into may
decision to actually go ahead and buy the vehicle, but I don't
want to be driving down the highway and have the thing break down
on me either. So I would like to hear what actual TT owners have
to say about their cars.

Was it worth it?
How much maintenance do/did you do?
Has the car every just died?
What have you had to replace or fix after the first few
months/years of ownership?
How would you rate it's reliability overall?

Thanks in advance to your responses!
Old 05-04-2003, 12:11 AM

Default Same thoughts

Having done the research on this forum as well as Consumer Reports and car magazines, I am having the same reservations as you. I drove the TT, and like it much better than the 350Z and Honda S2000 but stories of poor reliability are making me think twice. Audi/VW seem to have the 1.8T ignition coil fiasco under control (finally)but there seem to be a lot of stories about other serious failures. These are mostly fixed under warranty, but may indicate some fundamental design or manufacturing issues. For example I have heard of two TTs that had their engines replaced/rebuilt under warranty.

One thing to think about is getting a 3rd party extended warranty, but this adds thousands to the cost of a car that is already a little underpowered and overpriced.
Old 05-04-2003, 12:39 AM

Default Had the car 2.5 yrs. 180fws. minor niggles only. car has never let me down, have owned

merc and other europeans before tt, and they maybe had marginally fewer issues. Jap cars are the best by far. Recent drive in a friends bmw 330 cab. it had rattles everywhere. if you like the tt just buy it, but if your are concerned buy something japanese.
Old 05-04-2003, 02:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Same thoughts

It would be interesting to see if most of the TT's problems were confined to the first or second years models. My 2002 TT 225HP roadster had one small problem that was quickly fixed during the one year service maintenance. Other than that my TT has been perfect.Keep in mind that the quality of today's cars is so good that even if you have 50% more problems than average, you still have a car that would have been extraordinary as recently as ten years ago. I'd be surprised if 2003 TTs have quality problems. Buy the car you like, otherwise you'll always second guess your decision.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:29 AM

Default Re: Audi TT Reliability?

iv'e had it for three years now; just regular maintenance!!
Old 05-04-2003, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Please use the "search forums" option for this frequent question

Sorry to knock on you but this question gets posted regularly and almost daily since the Consumer Reports 2003 auto issue. If you look at the CR reliability data on page 91, you will be as perplexed as I am how they can take all of those excellent reliability scores and give the TT their worst overall reliability rating. IMHO, as a group and considering how most of us push this car, most of us would rate the TT as a very reliable car. No regrets here.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2000 FWD coupe 63k miles

car has never let me down...

minor quirks here and there that were fixed under warranty... (bad cluster, windows were twitchy, parking light short, etc)

never left me stranded.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:28 AM
gtt
AudiWorld Super User

My 2000 180Q has been very good. Never stranded and pleased overall.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've got 2 Audi's 99.5 A4 & my wonderful "TT" Roadster

The A4 is now 4 years old and driven every day and it's been in all weather conditions ( Spokane, Wa.). Not once has it ever let me down and (nothing) has ever gone wrong with it (nothing).
The "TT" 2001RQ is now 24 mos. old and the same thing (nothing). This one is never driven in the rain or snow but still it never needed any kind of adjustment to this day. Would I buy another Audi ? The ans. is yes I would.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Same thoughts

I had purchased 3 Audis. 2 of them TT's.
The first one was a 2000 180HP Quattro Coupe. I got it from a very good buddy of mine. He only put 4000 miles on it before I got it. He ended up with a 2001 TT Roadster.

The 2000 180HP coupe, with its 5 speed, was never as smooth as I'd like in a "sporty" car. With that said, the first to second gear shifting seems to be kind of abrupt. Although I thought this was the way the car was built, I lived with it until I drove my friend's 2001 roadster with 6 speed.

So I decided to trade the 2000 model and got a 2002 225 HP Quattro Coupe. By now, it has about 4500 miles on it. I haven't had much complains. I drove it from Maryland to Albuquerque, and not only loved the drive, but also love the car in the high desert.

I'd say that Audi has been good to me and turned me into a loyal customer. Though the serivce wasn't always the best, but the car has been pretty reliable thus far.

Yes, there were some recalls for my first TT (2000 model year) but that goes with about every other cars that I have owned (Honda, Toyota... not to mention the American brands...)

Honestly, I think the reliability may be just "average" or above "average" on some of the ratings for Audi cars. But to me, I have not problems with the cars at all.

Actually, I went back to my Audi dealer the other day to see if I can get another Audi. Quattro rules!

Quick Reply: Audi TT Reliability?