AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   TT (Mk1) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk1-discussion-9/)
-   -   Back in the TT fold, again...and immediately broke something. (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk1-discussion-9/back-tt-fold-again-immediately-broke-something-3052114/)

JHop 02-16-2023 05:47 AM

Back in the TT fold, again...and immediately broke something.

Hey folks,

After a long hiatus I am back in the Audi ownership arena again- last Audi was a 2007 S8 in 2019-, and also back into Mk1 TT ownership- last TT was a 2002 Nimbus Grey/Black 225Q Roadster in 2009- ...my uncle (age 74) bought his back in 2016 and had put very few miles on it since then and offered it up to me as a "winter car" replacement. I had recently sold my 1998 Volvo V70 to my sister (we keep it in the family!) and needed a car to run around in the winter while my other car (2015 SL) sleeps...

The TT is a triple black 2004 3.2 with 95k on the clock is very nice, fully loaded and runs flawlessly, just needs some little niggles cleaned up-nothing severe, just common things like AC switch covers (on order), a bluetooth solution, and some other small things, as well as a full fluid change, etc. One thing it needed was a passenger side parking light bulb...tried unscrewing this little bugger:
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...9be4557446.png

And, after trying to turn it clockwise, counter-clockwise, push, pull...the darn thing snapped off at the "grip". GRRRRRRR....stupid 19 year old plastic....

So, I have ordered two new ones from the UK for the low price of $129 and will begin clearing out the plastic shrapnel (lost the bulb into the light...GRRRRRR) and see if I can fit the new socket in there to at least work for now.

Anyway, I have read that you turn it CCW a quarter turn to release....well, it wasn't budging hardly either way. Is it CCW facing the front of the car (what I was doing), or the rear of the car (which would not make sense, but Germans be Germans sometimes)...

Any clarification would be appreciated before I re-engage with this ridiculous issue- IT'S REPLACING A BULB FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY. I figure removing the bumper and the light will be my only recourse to get this completely right, but that will wait until warmer weather. (facepalm).

Sigh. Next time I'll just pay the dealer $129 to do it.

I probably won't keep the car long, but I want it to be as nice as possible for the next owner, whenever that will be.

Thanks,

JHop

Vegas-roadster 02-16-2023 05:04 PM

It is CCW while facing the head of the object to be unscrewed

It has nothing to do with rear or front facing. If it is the bulb itself you are twisting, pushing it deeper into the socket and then twisting may work

JHop 02-17-2023 07:01 AM

Yep, that part I get. In this instance, it is the plastic bulb holder that goes into the headlight housing, not the bulb itself. I have searched and found one person saying a quarter turn CCW, another saying CW to remove the holder from the housing....hopefully when I get the holders (ordered two in case I break another) this will become more apparent. I just can't see well enough down there to see how it's supposed to twist in there (and I think I need to clear out some broken plastic as well). Appreciate the help!!!

JHop

BlurredLines 02-17-2023 09:57 AM

From the Bentley Manual "1/4 turn clockwise to remove"

JHop 02-17-2023 11:16 AM

Well, that makes sense due to the fact that CCW resulted in catastrophic failure...just wanted to make sure. Darn thing wouldn't budge either way, but now I know. Thanks for the heads up, I'll remember that for the next time!

JHop

taga8 02-18-2023 04:17 AM

BTW for bluetooth, I am really happy with the Dension GBL3AU2 and a Enfig MIC-AUD2. Everything is hidden and works great. Gives you bluetooth streaming music along with bluetooth calling. It uses your CD changer input.

JHop 02-20-2023 05:26 AM

I'm looing at that one and the GROM unit, which I had in my Volvo....I think I had the Dension in my TT years ago and it worked well...thanks for the heads up!

jefferskn 02-20-2023 09:11 AM

I learned recently that the passenger side parking light bulb holder in the xenon headlight assembly is clockwise to remove and the driver's side is counter clockwise like you would expect. I had to superglue the passenger side holder back together after learning this. I also learned that the rubber wire housing on all the wires inside a 2004 TT xenon headlight assembly crumble away if disturbed. I can tell you that the bulb holder is the same for both sides but screws into the headlight housing opposite of each other. Makes no sense whatsoever.

JHop 02-20-2023 10:25 AM

Yes, I too have learned that the wiring insulation in the headlamp housing (while chasing down the parking light location) will crumble when breathed upon. I have a mental note to revisit it with a solution---likely electrical tape. I forget how much I enjoy working on cars!

jefferskn 02-20-2023 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by JHop (Post 25791668)
Yes, I too have learned that the wiring insulation in the headlamp housing (while chasing down the parking light location) will crumble when breathed upon. I have a mental note to revisit it with a solution---likely electrical tape. I forget how much I enjoy working on cars!

I ended up separating the headlight housing with a heat gun, removing the reflector assembly and soldering in all new wires inside the housing between every connector. I could not remove the pins from the connectors so left about half an inch of bare wire to solder to than used heat shrink tubing right up to the connector. A brand new xenon housing is $1200 and a used is $300 which will probably have the same crumbling wire issues.