TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

being sponsored, would you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default being sponsored, would you do it?

if some company wanted to sponsor your car would you do it?
i think the huge discounts are cool, but does it take away from the individuality that makes modding so great?
Old 10-23-2005, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ask LobsTTer! Does he even have his back yet?!
Old 10-23-2005, 03:49 PM

Nada...
Old 10-23-2005, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

No way. Discounts dont cost them anything. Let them drop 40k on their own car.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default sponsored to what degree??

I am sponsored by Hankook Tires, Meguire's Detailing Products.. and a few smaller companies... at this level it's all about advertising..get some products.. show the public you use them.....
At another level, where the company wants to dump 40k into your car.. it basically becomes their car.. and you and it are pretty much at the company's disposal whenever they want/need... something most people with any outside life besides cars... wouldn't want...
I'd beware if you're considering it.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:06 PM

Why sponsor a car when you can sponsor a forum sig?
Old 10-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

credibility and freedom have no price
Old 10-23-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Take it from me

It is cool in the beginning, you get the false sense of having the coolest car because they picked you over the other people. BUT in the end, nothing comes for free, you will get sick of the politics and requirements after a while. I myself ( who built 3 fully sponsored cars) will never do it again.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default depends on how deep you go and if you believe in the product you'd represent

if it's what you'd like on your car, it's a no brainer. if it's not, then why think twice? i had neuspeed offering to sponsor my car and they'd only do it if they had all their stuff on it. i didn't want all their stuff, only sum. in the end, i got great deals on the stuff i wanted, but none for free. to me that was perfect.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:13 PM

Default Well...let's air this out now re: sponsors for lobsTTer.

[edit: the following post was mistakenly placed under Zoom's post...it is not meant as a rebuttal to anything he said, and I fully understand his sentiment and respect his work.]

I appreciate what I did get from those 2...repeat TWO who know what they did, and until recently were the ONLY "benefactors" but none of those "sponsors" or subsequent ones had or have control of this project.

I always could check on or off including with HPA. None of the companies that plastered stickers on my car GAVE ME anything, what they DID do was to enable HPA the margin to offer ME some "advantages" I would not have had been able to provide or receive without whatever arrangement they have with HPA which I am not privy too. What HPA "provided with consideration" was certainly notable, most importantly in resources, man hours, engineering,design/fabrication, sharing of R&D and MOST of ALL...offing up their latest and greatest at the time to me, rather than in a HPA company car as I'd bet was originally their intention before my project developed as it did.

For me, there was a benefit to checking off on the venues I did (and I did not approve all that was offered) though none were ever required...

because it served MY goals which were maximizing the performance capabilities, and quality build of the car while establishing credentials and history/exposure for the car. Sorry folks, there is a cost to the owner for taking it to the point I did...and that is TIME.

Like I said with the exception of the last two venues and 2 companies I mentioned initially, I have NOT received any material gain. The static event the car will appear at, I approved because a major company SELECTED my car to represent them. I take that as an honor of recognition and validation of the car's performance and build. I will get a product of theirs in return which is nominal...obviously not the reason I did it. Another company recently has given me a healthy discount on their product and served it up in record time, a gesture that I appreciate greatly and sincerely respect the connection with HPA that helped make it possible.

This whole project has been a dynamic one...there was never a set date, and options became available as the basic project goals expanded with more resources and products that were made available after starting. So I will say that as far as time...and the length that it has taken...is ultimately my responsibility. Not HPA's. Not a sponser. Not politics. Not magazines. Mine. I made the choices, and though I will admit there were periods of frustrations and posts that mostly were tongue and cheek jabs at myself fot the time, all I had to do was say..."no, I don't want to pursue that or it is far enough along there, and no I don't see a reason to show up there"...and it would have been home already. BUT I wasn't and am not, content to stop on anything I do, if I know there is a reasonable way to accomplish it, and a better result to be had.

What I HAVE been content with is to be behind the scenes. Magazines have NEVER mentioned my role as the owner and driving force behind it...(always stating that is an HPA project and implying it is theirs), and my motivation and goals behind what it has become. I chose NOT to have my name mentioned, NOT to take the limelight simply because personal recognition is NOT what this was about...

what it WAS about was making one of the best, if not THE best performing Audi TT period (Note: One based on an engine available in an OEM TT and drivetrain from a TT in a conventional OEM layout...NOT a BulleTT utilizing another product line engine/drivetrain or the BiMoto which is in another realm altogether. I have great respect for those projects and am honored that mine is the equal or better of them in a variety of points).

The result is a privately owned and directed project with the fit, finish, and performance levels of a company, or manufacturer's special project. Regardless of what anyone says, until an individual can show me another privately owned Audi TT with the performance and extensive rebuild quality of this car...then disparaging comments fall on deaf ears.

Time?....The BimoTTo TT and BulleTT are STILL undergoing improvements and changes....their project build time far surpasses mine. It is an ongoing process. I have played my project out to what is realistically possible for ME, and therefore it is over.

Now that it IS essentially over, that will be IT...I simply do not have the patience anymore, nor the resources, for a project of passion reflecting my love for the TT, and one that admittedly makes no economic sense at all. With several successful bike and car projects behind me...it is time to continue the ultimately more important path: Family.

So watch, if you care, for goTTzilla's two last appearances, and then I will be very, very happy to have it home and report personally my impressions.

The addage, "Time is relative" could not be more true...and when you end up with a time machine, what matter time?

Quick Reply: being sponsored, would you do it?