TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Boost ISSUES HELP!!!!!!!!!! (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost ISSUES HELP!!!!!!!!!! (Long)

First off, Steve thanks for everything I got the shipment yesterday and installed everything with no probs. Great doing business with ya. Second is the relief valve on the BM supposed to click when it's closed indicating it's closed all the way, because it spins freely in both directions but the only way it indicates it's closed is by clicking? Lastnight I adjusted just the relief valve (first valve) and kept the boost closed. I went out for 30 miles or so until the VAG didn't show the throttle adaption DTC anymore, I then proceeded to "stuff it" car was pulling VERY hard and the boost was spiking to 21-22 and holding around 20 the car felt MUCH MUCH faster night and day from before and I was very happy to see the boost holding and not spiking, but about 2 mins later i went to get on it again and she shot up to 25 psi and beyond and i triggered into limp mode for the first time ever. so i cleared it out, no more OVERBOOST DTC's, but the boost still runs all over the map sometimes only to 15, sometimes to 20 other times 25 and beyond and sometimes it won't hold and slips off 4-5 psi even if i don't lift off the throttle. This morning on the way to work (driving like miss daisy until the car warmed up) i went to get on it and it wouldn't go higher than 8 psi, so i guess i am back in limp mode, but WTF, it was running normal (normal being 15 psi minimum) when i shut it off lastnight. Do i have a bad N75 valve or can someone tell me what the hell is wrong with my VERY non-smooth quirky boost. If i did have a bad N75 wouldn't it throw me a DTC?
Old 05-05-2005, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.......>>

Is it a full moon? Sorry, but that's why I included instructions and preset the Valves. You have gone in the completely wrong direction with the relief and removed all Boost control from your system. Your turbo was essentially running with an inoperative wastegate. Hopefully you haven't done any damage. This is why I preset the valves to OFF before you start.

Start again, and READ the instructions. Sorry but this is the second time this week after years of flawless installs that someone's done this.

Turn your relief valve COUNTERCLOCKWISE all the way till it comes up against the hard stop. Now turn 1 turn CLOCKWISE. Lock it down.

On the Regulator, Turn it all the way CLOCKWISE to the stop. Now Turn COUNTERCLOCWISE 3-4 turns and start from there...

Let me know if you have any problems after that. You may have to clear the fault codes you've incurred...
Old 05-05-2005, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bad, whats a good indication i did damage.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dunno...You' re the 2nd of 2 guys to do this...>

All in a week. Clear the codes, start from scratch...
Old 05-05-2005, 08:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This brings up a good point>>

Are you including a disclaimer with your products, and on your website?

It should go without saying that the end user assumes all risk when he goes down this path, but, you never know in our litigious society.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default When installing something like this the BUYER MUST understand what he is getting into.

Manually changing your boost implies the inherent dangers if gone too far, people must be aware of that.
I'm sure there's a warning about going too far with the BM, but perhaps it needs to be in larger and bold print.
... On that note let me add that I too overcrancked the BM, got scared and pulled it out (I think mine was busted, but it was not from TTschwing).