TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Borla Exhaust Installation was dream! (more)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-1999, 09:10 AM
Wew

Default Borla Exhaust Installation was dream! (more)

I just installed a Borla Performance Exhaust "Cat-back" system today in 45 minutes complete. Stock exhaust out and the Borla installed. All hangers fit perfectly. used existing front clamp, and only one of the three supplied clamps were needed. It helped to only have 7,000 miles on the stock exhaust, but what a dream installation. At first look at the stock muffler you'd swear the tip was coming out of the gas tank. The stock muffler is three times the size of the Borla. No wonder there is a weight reduction.
I suggest to any TT owners considering the upgrade to a Borla and a set of metric sockets to not pay someone else to install what I did today on my lunch hour.
The stock exhaust is a one piece system as opposed to the two piece Borla.
Performance results to follow.
Old 12-14-1999, 09:15 AM
Ted

Thanks for the report!
Old 12-14-1999, 09:36 AM
Cliff Melick

Default Wayne, source and approximate cost? (more)

I assume you had the car on a lift?
Old 12-14-1999, 09:39 AM
Wew

I purchased from APR $499 +shipping 3 days ($45) TT jack, 2 jack stands all in 45 min. (nt)
Old 12-14-1999, 09:55 AM
Cliff Melick

Thanks for the information.
Old 12-14-1999, 09:56 AM
paris

now i'm REALLY excited, mine should arrive in three days (nt)
Old 12-14-1999, 09:57 AM
Joe

Interesting -- how does the Borla sound? (nt)
Old 12-14-1999, 10:16 AM
AkRascal

Default My report W O W !!!

just got back, delivered my car to shop at 8 a.m., mechanic called me at 9:15 to pickup... cost $50. He concurs with previous post, said was one of the easiest installations he had done and that everything fit easily with no "twisting and grunting" to use his words.

Tip extends about 3/4 inch beyond the body work and may help to keep the rear of the car cleaner.

The sound? Well it is subtle, nice, if you want loud, this isn't it. Get a bit of interior resonance above 50, but tis a good sound. I suspect the sound will increase a bit as it gets burned in... it is much more growly than the stock exhaust, but not annoyingly so.

The WOW is for the change in first and 2nd gear...this is subjective, but it seems so much smother, def. quicker. Rather than lurching in 1st it pulls... tuff to describe... and all the roads are covered with snow so I can't really pop the clutch and do a wheelie.

Tis the only modification I have made and I certainly endorse it... big improvement.
Old 12-14-1999, 10:29 AM
TimoThy

Default Mr Rascal, am I to understand that the exhaust is the only mod u have???

and u feel a difference??? Pls confirm!
Thanx!
Old 12-14-1999, 10:46 AM
AkRascal

Default YUP -- more

other than wheels and snow tires, have done nothing else to the car... just drove it again, and the "feel" of 1st and 2nd is so changed I can't believe it... smooth is the only word I can come up with, not enough of a mechanic to explain, perhaps MNE can take that on?

Quick Reply: Borla Exhaust Installation was dream! (more)