TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Bose and their 'canned' response... (more)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-1999, 06:10 PM
STTeve R

Default Bose and their 'canned' response... (more)

I sent e-mail to Bose asking why it is that this (me) Bose audiophile really doesn't like the sound of the integrated system in the TT. Their canned response was that they'd 'pass it on' to their engineers. A week or so later and 'nada' from them.
I have owned Bose speakers and subwoofers since they first came out and everyone would remark how great the sound was coming from them. In the TT, I have tried every type of music (except rap) and I have been unable to get the correct mix, balance, etc., that makes listening enjoyable.
I never thought of asking the dealer where I had the opportunity to 'sit' in a showroom car (they had none to test drive then) if I could listen to the car stereo. Perhaps others should before they make their minds up to get the upgrade. I don't belive it is worth the money...just one opinion from one who enjoys: classical, jazz, new age, progressive, oldies, chorale, rock, but not rap or country (just the old country like Charley Pride)...
Old 10-07-1999, 07:37 PM
Paul Ward

Try Keith RIchards - makes the stereo sound great! (nt)
Old 10-08-1999, 04:08 AM
PeterK

Default Bose sound (more)

Funny, I don't like the "Bose sound" but my TT Bose sounds great - sound of speakers really is relative to the individual's ear mechanics. Since we all have a little different physiology in our inner ear, those minute differences make the the same sound sound different. I crank to bass and treble to +5 to add some color.

I have two home systems - one home theater (Yamaha, ADS, Infinity Kappa) and my audiophile quality "analog room" (NAD, Michael Green, Thorens, etc) for veging out.

I find that the TT Bose is a bit pricy compared to DIY aftermarket but, classical and new age is precise, jazz can really punch, pop is full with the strong mid-range and great imaging of the Bose, rock is mushy though.

BTW, the S4 has and intregrated single disc CD, no cassette but still Bose - sticker says $650 for Bose upgrade and a separate $550 for the CD changer.
Old 10-08-1999, 08:41 AM
Jeff

Actually, the new A4 and S4 Symphony has both cassette and CD in the head unit. (nt)
Old 10-08-1999, 08:43 AM
Andy Hedin

Default Minor correction....

<i>BTW, the S4 has and intregrated single disc CD, no cassette but still Bose - sticker says $650 for Bose upgrade and a separate $550 for the CD changer.</i>

Not sure where you live, but the S4's in the US market have the new Symphony headunit which includes both a cassette deck, AM/FM and a single CD slot.

Andy Hedin
Old 10-08-1999, 09:32 AM
PeterK

Default Re: Minor correction....

Just looked at one here (in the U.S.) yesterday, saw the CD slot but not the cassette. It took up a lot of space in the console so perhaps the cassette was hiding right in front of my eyes : ). I wasn't really looking at the stereo anyway - it's a great looking sedan.
Old 10-11-1999, 09:53 PM
Adam

Default the Bose system in the TT sux

I listened to the Bose system in the TT and thought it was horrible. My cousin also has a Bose system in his Aurora and it sux in that car as well. My main music of choise is rap which has a lot of bass and treble, mids are important, but much less. I will always choose to rip out any Bose system and replace it with Polk dB components and Soundstream amp. Add a Pioneer bandpass sub and your car will bump! Bose is passe, aftermarket is the way to go even on these systems.