Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi TT / TT-S / TT-RS > TT (Mk1) Discussion
Reload this Page >

bought a 2002 tt 225 with mods, input?

TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

bought a 2002 tt 225 with mods, input?

 
Old 04-04-2019, 04:51 AM
  #1  
AudiWorld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bought a 2002 tt 225 with mods, input?

So kind of a long story to this but I'll try to simplify. friend bought this car over a year ago and I helped him put on after market intercooler, new intercooler piping, franken turbo, after market header and bigger exhaust. the car already had a stage 2 APR tune as well. After we put it all back together.. it wouldn't run right, anything over 3500 rpms it would bog down. it sat for a year in his garage and I bought it off him sunday.

I got the car Monday and had it shipped down to vast performance here in Detroit and they think its boost leak and that the header looks to not be getting seated against the head well. also getting MAF error and vacuum leak error. so they are tackling the issues now.

talking to them, they suggested an upgraded fuel pump, bigger injectors and a better tune for the mods instead of the apr tune. they said that tune wouldn't work that well with the turbo.

any thoughts? what kind of hp do you think this will make? any other upgrades you would suggest ontop of what is listed? hoping to have the car back by the end of next week and it will be my daily driver for work. I like the older sporty cars for work and like to keep the nicer cars for weekend cruising. with the mods ... I'm think i'll have a nice car to get around in.

car has 120k on it, new top end and extremely clean. not a spot of rust anywhere on the car and interior is in amazing shape.


Thanks guys
Brian





ttt123 is offline  
Old 04-04-2019, 06:23 AM
  #2  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,814
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

There have been several discussions on various forums over the years on HP limits on the 225 Mk 1 due to internals design. As I recall, it's about 450 HP though only a few folks have gone that far. Do some searches. Read this FAQ https://forums.fourtitude.com/showth...44-Audi-TT-FAQ
Vegas-roadster is offline  
Old 04-04-2019, 06:39 AM
  #3  
AudiWorld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster View Post
There have been several discussions on various forums over the years on HP limits on the 225 Mk 1 due to internals design. As I recall, it's about 450 HP though only a few folks have gone that far. Do some searches. Read this FAQ https://forums.fourtitude.com/showth...44-Audi-TT-FAQ
Thanks Vegas for the response. I wasn't asking for the capabilities of the engine.. just car talk and what some might think MY set up would be pushing. also curious if anyone had any suggestions for things they might do along with the mods I have since I have it at the shop right now for more mods and work being done. I'm not scared of doing research, I do it all the time for my cars. I have built quite a few cars and enjoy these forums to talk with other guys who enjoy talking about cars.. not to just search. seems some have a default response of "search" not being a jerk just trying to make a point so please don't take it wrong.

This is a new toy in my collection and assume there are others who enjoy talking about these cars as well. for me, when new owners start threads in other forums I enjoy chiming in and offering advice, input and good ole back and forth rather than "search".

Hope this wasn't taken with malice

Thanks again
Brian
ttt123 is offline  
Old 04-04-2019, 09:17 AM
  #4  
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 30
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ttt123 View Post
Thanks Vegas for the response. I wasn't asking for the capabilities of the engine.. just car talk and what some might think MY set up would be pushing. also curious if anyone had any suggestions for things they might do along with the mods I have since I have it at the shop right now for more mods and work being done. I'm not scared of doing research, I do it all the time for my cars. I have built quite a few cars and enjoy these forums to talk with other guys who enjoy talking about cars.. not to just search. seems some have a default response of "search" not being a jerk just trying to make a point so please don't take it wrong.

This is a new toy in my collection and assume there are others who enjoy talking about these cars as well. for me, when new owners start threads in other forums I enjoy chiming in and offering advice, input and good ole back and forth rather than "search".

Hope this wasn't taken with malice

Thanks again
Brian
I think the only reason he mentioned the power limit was because the stock rods on the 225 are known to bend at or over 300lb/ft of torque or so. Stage 1's for this car tend to make between 250-270HP and similar torque while stage 2 is intended to go over 300HP. There's no way to know how much power the car makes until you take it and have it dyno'd, which is generally a good idea to get the maximum out of any build. The new top end is great but if you really want to build the car up it would be wise to do a full rebuild cause at stage 2 you are taking a chance. That's not intended to be a gloom and doom thing, but it is worth mentioning.

I think as far as power mods go, you hit all the rights spots. Obviously swapping the tune out will help quite a bit if it doesn't jive with the turbo. For stage 2 you'll want those larger injectors and uprated fuel pump for sure to max things out.

These motors can make quite a bit of power without sacrificing reliability, it just comes down to what you want out of it and how much work you're willing to do. Good luck my dude 👍
actualfactual is offline  
Old 04-04-2019, 09:33 AM
  #5  
AudiWorld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by actualfactual View Post
I think the only reason he mentioned the power limit was because the stock rods on the 225 are known to bend at or over 300lb/ft of torque or so. Stage 1's for this car tend to make between 250-270HP and similar torque while stage 2 is intended to go over 300HP. There's no way to know how much power the car makes until you take it and have it dyno'd, which is generally a good idea to get the maximum out of any build. The new top end is great but if you really want to build the car up it would be wise to do a full rebuild cause at stage 2 you are taking a chance. That's not intended to be a gloom and doom thing, but it is worth mentioning.

I think as far as power mods go, you hit all the rights spots. Obviously swapping the tune out will help quite a bit if it doesn't jive with the turbo. For stage 2 you'll want those larger injectors and uprated fuel pump for sure to max things out.

These motors can make quite a bit of power without sacrificing reliability, it just comes down to what you want out of it and how much work you're willing to do. Good luck my dude 👍
like mentioned to Vegas response.. hope that's not taken wrong by anyone. you cant write done tone of voice, facial expressions, anger etc. so was simply trying to get across where I was coming from with my questions and not intending to come down on Vegas's comments. I'm 42 yrs old... I'm past the getting bent over internet comments lol plus he didn't say anything wrong.

great info on the stage 2 stuff, thank you. rebuilding the motor is probably not in plans as of right now. maybe if something goes wrong I will. for now i'll do these mods the shop recommended and see how it feels. they do have a dyno where the work is being done and it will be interesting to see the results.

sinking big money into this car is a wait and see how I like it. I just sunk a fortune into my 911 this past winter but this tt seems to be a really neat car and if I like it enough.. maybe there will be a build thread next year for it.

thanks again
Brian
ttt123 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
JoeKan (07-12-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 07:04 AM
  #6  
AudiWorld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Hey forum, so I got my car back from Vast performance here in Michigan .. don't use them!!!!! Driving my car home from them last night got about 5 miles from there shop and the car blew up in a big... huge ball of flames. almost killed my brother, no joke. I cant say it was there fault with out venturing into assumptions but the service they gave me vs the money I've paid them and a now an exploded car.. DONT USE THEM!!!! nice guys and they SEEM to know there stuff but as far as MY experience with them... I wouldn't let them work on my sons go-kart now. Very disappointed with there service plus they told me I had a warped header(brand new) and wanted to charge me almost $3k to surface and that my suspension was cracked/broken and dangling(not a single cracked/broken spring). turns out my header had a bolt that was bottomed out and lifted up from tightening down the header by a good 1/8 inch... you could see it with your eyes just looking down from the top of the motor.. how could they miss that.

So I have a question. my car is the 225 quttro (engine and sticker says AMU) and I need another motor. The question is can I use a 1.8 base and just swap everything off my 225 motor onto it? I'm finding info on the motor but its a little confusing as far as blocks go. wrist pins are different but everything else seems to be the same (For the block)

After we had the car towed home to inspect all four cylinders have holes blown through the block... yes 4 holes!! each cylinder exploded. The ball of flames was so big that going 70 mph down I-75 it melted the paint on my rear bumper. I have sunk just under $10 on this car in the last year and on its maiden voyage from "VAST PERFORMACE" it blew up.

My thinking is to swap everything over to a new block if that's possible.

mods done by by VAST
600cc injectors, new coil/gapped plugs, larger fuel pump, and stage 3 tune.

Mods done before Vast, equal length header, frankenturbo, fmic, 3" down pipe and 3"exhaust, suspension,.

For the record, I have not personally attacked VAST in this post. I'm simply being honest with my experience with them and letting everyone know I would not recommend them. The guy who referred me to them has been involved as well and he is amazed at how all this went. He came over last night and is the one who got under the car and verified the 4 holes in my block. He's no stranger to tuning/building cars and feels bad for referring me to vast. I say this because I'm sure if Zack over at vast sees my post he would naturally want to defend his position and say "I told him the oil pressure was a little low" but he also said it wasn't so low that I need to be overly worried about it and that it was still ok to drive but needed to be addressed.

ok I'm done lol
ttt123 is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 02:32 PM
  #7  
AudiWorld Super User
 
Mister Bally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 5,836
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

When you get chance, can you post a few pictures please?
Mister Bally is online now  
Old 07-12-2019, 05:13 AM
  #8  
AudiWorld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

it will be a while before I can get some pics, its down at the bottom of my driveway. We jacked it up when we got it home but I didn't take any pics and now its back down on the ground. i'll try to get some this weekend.

Mister Bally, do you know where I can find a new block or full engine? plenty of 1.8 engines but when I tell the salvage yards its the AMU they say nope don't have them.
ttt123 is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 09:48 AM
  #9  
AudiWorld Super User
 
Mister Bally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 5,836
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

My go-to's are Shokan Coachworks in West Shokan, New York.and specializedgerman.com near LA. Otherwise find a good junkyard that is networked with others and can check around

Last edited by Mister Bally; 07-12-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Mister Bally is online now  
Old 07-12-2019, 04:41 PM
  #10  
AudiWorld Super User
 
Mister Bally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 5,836
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

EDIT:
Try Wolf Auto parts in Minnesota or carpart.com for best search nation-wide.
Since you said Michigan, there's Michigan Imported Cars in Westland as well as Detroit City Imports. 6345 Iowa in Detroit-be safe in that neighborhood; my son & I take heat when we've gone there.
Mister Bally is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bought a 2002 tt 225 with mods, input?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: