TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Bulb Out Warning Light

Old 04-06-2018, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bulb Out Warning Light

I am getting this warning light:

I wasn't sure if that meant my canteen was empty or I was out of hand grenades so I looked in the owners manual and it says this means there is a bulb out. The warning light is no big deal but it comes with an associated high pitched warning screech that makes me want to drive the car into a brick wall. I checked out all the lights and sure enough the rear passenger side marker light was out. Nothing significant, whenever that light is on the light above it is on brighter so I was extremely annoyed this causes a level of alarm that makes the car unusable without ear plugs. A trip to the auto parts store and $4 later the problem is solved.

Fast forward 2 weeks and maybe 300 miles later and the same warning light and the ear torturing sound came back. I checked that same marker light, it still works. I checked and double checked every light, they all work. Headlights, high beams, fog lights, turn signals, brake lights, ...everything works. While doing this check I discovered when the headlights are on, low or high beam doesn't matter, the warning light and screech go away. If I turn off the headlights the warning light comes back on within 3 or 4 seconds.

What is going on?
Old 04-07-2018, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 211 Posts
Default It's been a while since I owned a Mk 1

Originally Posted by dh53
I am getting this warning light:

I wasn't sure if that meant my canteen was empty or I was out of hand grenades so I looked in the owners manual and it says this means there is a bulb out. The warning light is no big deal but it comes with an associated high pitched warning screech that makes me want to drive the car into a brick wall. I checked out all the lights and sure enough the rear passenger side marker light was out. Nothing significant, whenever that light is on the light above it is on brighter so I was extremely annoyed this causes a level of alarm that makes the car unusable without ear plugs. A trip to the auto parts store and $4 later the problem is solved.

Fast forward 2 weeks and maybe 300 miles later and the same warning light and the ear torturing sound came back. I checked that same marker light, it still works. I checked and double checked every light, they all work. Headlights, high beams, fog lights, turn signals, brake lights, ...everything works. While doing this check I discovered when the headlights are on, low or high beam doesn't matter, the warning light and screech go away. If I turn off the headlights the warning light comes back on within 3 or 4 seconds.

What is going on?
But I think some of the rear red lights have multiple bulbs. So you may think they are working but one of the bulbs is burnt out. Compare the illumination of the red lights (braking and tail), one side to the other, to see if there is a difference in brightness on both sides.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Usually, this only informs you of a brake light being out. LED's used instead of incandescent buld usually give undefined results such as what you may be experiencing. Or a corroded socket or interconnection somewhere. VCDS diagnostics may help you here.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Were you able to find out what the issue was? My light just started coming on intermittently and I can't figure out what's burnt out.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

About 2 months after my bulb warning light came on intermittently one of my headlights went out. I don't know if that was causing the warning light or not. The bulb warning light stopped coming on before the headlight went out so it could be coincidence.

The bulb warning does not come on with a headlight out which seems like the opposite of what it should do.
Old 09-02-2022, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Old 12-11-2023, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi TT Mk1 intermittent bulb out warning

I had the same problem. Bulb warning when braking, didn't happen when headlights are on. Changed all bulbs, cleaned contacts, but it continued. Sometimes it would go away for a while, then it would come back with the associated high-pitched squeal.

I pulled the taillights again and saw that there is a wire that connects to a ground rail with a rivet that wasn't very secure. I wiggled it side to side to remove corrosion, then jammed it to one side where it felt tight. I did both sides and the warning immediately stopped and hasn't happened for months. If it happens again I might just try to solder the wire to the rail or attach it with a bolt and nut.

It's a frustrating problem, hope this helps.