TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Buying an 05 Audi TT 225 Convertible

Old 02-13-2018, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying an 05 Audi TT 225 Convertible

Good Day Everyone! I am looking at buying an 05 Audi TT 225 AWD. I know in the early years the timing belt was an issue. Is that still true of the 05s? The owner has not changed it yet. The car has 96,000 miles on it. What else should I look out for? Thank you for all your time and help!
Old 02-13-2018, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Yes, the TB is an issue

Originally Posted by njs170
Good Day Everyone! I am looking at buying an 05 Audi TT 225 AWD. I know in the early years the timing belt was an issue. Is that still true of the 05s? The owner has not changed it yet. The car has 96,000 miles on it. What else should I look out for? Thank you for all your time and help!
Key issues when buying:1. The 4 cylinder engines use a timing belt. While the manual says it will last 100K miles, it has been proven to be only a 60K or 5 year part. There is no way to do a visual inspection to see if the belt is about to fail because the belt also drives the water pump which is most likely to have a catastrophic failure and break the belt. A TB failure will cost $5K+ to repair because it destroys the valves and pistons. The timing belt service must include replacing the tensioner and water pump. While you are at it, you should replace the serpentine belt since it must be removed anyway. A new thermostat also comes with most replacement kits so I always replaced the upper and lower radiator hoses too and replace the coolant. Cost will be about $1500 at a dealer or $750 at an independent mechanic. (Make sure the replacement water pump has a metal impeller.) Most VW mechanics are good with Audis since they are produced by the same company. Get proof that the timing belt etc has been serviced. If it has not received the service, deduct $1K from the price and tow the car to a garage to get it done. I’ve seen too many sad stories of cars that have failed on the way to the shop to get the TB replaced. Most folks recommend the DeiselGeek kit if you are DIY or using an indy mechanic.2. The second most common problem is a dashboard instrument failure. The dash is one giant printed circuit board with a cover. Make sure all the gauges work. Drive the car long enough for the temperature gauge to rise to the middle marker. Anything above the middle marker and something is wrong. Make sure the center of the dash displays messages correctly. A few missing pixels in the center display are common and does not mean the dash is bad.3. Front end squeak over bumps means the suspension bushings need replaced.4. Make sure the CD changer plays all 6 CDs.5. Make sure the coolant in the reservoir is orange. If not, pass.6. Make sure the glove box latch works perfectly. Replacement parts cost $1000. 7. Make sure the "top loose" icon is not on. This is usually caused by improper contact of the sensor relay in the latch above the driver and is an easy fix.

Read this FAQ
http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthread.php?3443644-Audi-TT-FAQ

Last edited by Vegas-roadster; 02-13-2018 at 06:10 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
Key issues when buying:1. The 4 cylinder engines use a timing belt. While the manual says it will last 100K miles, it has been proven to be only a 60K or 5 year part. There is no way to do a visual inspection to see if the belt is about to fail because the belt also drives the water pump which is most likely to have a catastrophic failure and break the belt. A TB failure will cost $5K+ to repair because it destroys the valves and pistons. The timing belt service must include replacing the tensioner and water pump. While you are at it, you should replace the serpentine belt since it must be removed anyway. A new thermostat also comes with most replacement kits so I always replaced the upper and lower radiator hoses too and replace the coolant. Cost will be about $1500 at a dealer or $750 at an independent mechanic. (Make sure the replacement water pump has a metal impeller.) Most VW mechanics are good with Audis since they are produced by the same company. Get proof that the timing belt etc has been serviced. If it has not received the service, deduct $1K from the price and tow the car to a garage to get it done. I’ve seen too many sad stories of cars that have failed on the way to the shop to get the TB replaced. Most folks recommend the DeiselGeek kit if you are DIY or using an indy mechanic.2. The second most common problem is a dashboard instrument failure. The dash is one giant printed circuit board with a cover. Make sure all the gauges work. Drive the car long enough for the temperature gauge to rise to the middle marker. Anything above the middle marker and something is wrong. Make sure the center of the dash displays messages correctly. A few missing pixels in the center display are common and does not mean the dash is bad.3. Front end squeak over bumps means the suspension bushings need replaced.4. Make sure the CD changer plays all 6 CDs.5. Make sure the coolant in the reservoir is orange. If not, pass.6. Make sure the glove box latch works perfectly. Replacement parts cost $1000. 7. Make sure the "top loose" icon is not on. This is usually caused by improper contact of the sensor relay in the latch above the driver and is an easy fix.

Read this FAQ
http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthread.php?3443644-Audi-TT-FAQ

Thank you so much! This is great!!!!

What Diesel Geek kit do I need? They don't have the MK1 Audi TT listed? Thanks again!
Old 02-14-2018, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I would add that the convertible tops are known to leak in the rear window area. This will affect some electrical functions of the car.
​​​​​​​not sure what tops cost, but my car had a rear window reseal with a $500 bill.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Call them

Originally Posted by njs170
Thank you so much! This is great!!!!

What Diesel Geek kit do I need? They don't have the MK1 Audi TT listed? Thanks again!
They definitely carry a Mk 1 kit
Old 02-14-2018, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Avoid automatic car washes

Originally Posted by Hidesert
I would add that the convertible tops are known to leak in the rear window area. This will affect some electrical functions of the car.
​​​​​​​not sure what tops cost, but my car had a rear window reseal with a $500 bill.
and leaks and rear window seals will never be a problem. Even brushless auto car washes put a lot of stress on the rear window. Just watch the window flutter when it passes under the blowers. Owned convertibles for 40 years, never used an automatic car wash, never had top problems.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Check to see if the "Roof" sensor is fully functional.
Sometimes the roof will be closed, but the sensor may indicate the roof is down with a blinking light.
The roof sensor is on the drive side, above the sun shade visor.
I have 2005 roadster as well, a lot of fun to drive.