TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

A/C problem!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A/C problem!

I’ve had the 2000 TT since December. Long story short, the last owner said the A/C stopped working last Summer. I have tried it, and it only blows out hot air. Not even the slightest bit of cool. So I just bought a can of recharge, and you can test the meter before you put the bottle in.

So I let it run for three minutes, and checked the pressure. I thought it would say empty, but it’s all the way on the red (check the pic)! What can this mean? Compressor? How can I tell for sure? Where is it even located on my TT? Any possibility it could be a fuse?

Last edited by Zap!; 06-23-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you hear the compress clutch engage? That will help determine if it is an electrical issue. If it does engage then it is probably the compressor.

I have a 2001 TT, my AC stopped working last week. Hooked it up yesterday and was getting 100psi on both the suction and pressure sides. My compressor is gone. It took a can of Freon and blew cool, but not cool enough for Florida. I replaced this compressor about 7 to 8 years ago. It was a cheap Chinesium compressor. I got a new expansion valve, dryer and compressor for under $300.00. I had a mechanic recycle the Freon and then replaced the parts myself and then paid to have it filled again. I did not have access to a vacuum pump. It is pretty easy to do took less than 6 hours. Follow the procedure to remove the dryer. I thought I could cheat and it cost me a condenser. Life lessons you gotta love'em.

Good Luck.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Johnson
Do you hear the compress clutch engage? That will help determine if it is an electrical issue. If it does engage then it is probably the compressor.

I have a 2001 TT, my AC stopped working last week. Hooked it up yesterday and was getting 100psi on both the suction and pressure sides. My compressor is gone. It took a can of Freon and blew cool, but not cool enough for Florida. I replaced this compressor about 7 to 8 years ago. It was a cheap Chinesium compressor. I got a new expansion valve, dryer and compressor for under $300.00. I had a mechanic recycle the Freon and then replaced the parts myself and then paid to have it filled again. I did not have access to a vacuum pump. It is pretty easy to do took less than 6 hours. Follow the procedure to remove the dryer. I thought I could cheat and it cost me a condenser. Life lessons you gotta love'em.

Good Luck.
Sorry this reply is so late. I know the Summer's halfway over but there's still plenty of hot days left. Anyway, no, it does not engage. Could this perhaps be a fuse? Is yes where is it?