TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

A/C Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Problems

I'm sure this has been asked before and I tried using the advanced search but didn't see anything on the forum. I drive a 2001 Audi TT Roadster and the AC is not blowing cold air. When the car is off and only the ignition is on, I am having the fault code "00604- Potentiometer Positioning Motor for Air Flow Flap (G113) 29-10- Short to Ground- Intermittent". I am able to clear it but it comes back on after I turn the car on and then off.

When the car is on, I am having the fault code ""00604- Potentiometer Positioning Motor for Air Flow Flap (G113) 30-00- Open or Short to Plus". I can not clear this code.

The heat index has been over 110 lately and I would like to fix my AC asap. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-29-2018, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are 2 flap actuators that could be faulty based on your description. I'm not sure if the G113 code pinpoints which one, maybe someone more knowledgeable with VW/Audi codes can answer that. Air has to come into your HVAC system at the passenger side of the car, either through the cabin air filter from the outside ("Fresh") or from inside the car behind the glovebox ("Recirc"). This is controlled by a flap actuator. A second flap actuator routes the air either through the A/C evaporator or the heater core depending on your HVAC settings. There are then more flap actuators that change the air flow from your feet to the dash to the windshield depending on your HVAC settings, but I'm ignoring these because you say you get no A/C.

If you turn on the heat do you get hot air coming through? This would tell you the inlet flap actuator is OK but the actuator that switches between heater core and A/C is bad. If you turn on the heat and still get not much of anything it is likely your problem is the inlet air flap actuator. The actuator actually moves 2 flaps, 1 blocking fresh air and the other blocking recirc air. Mine failed such that both flaps were closed and I had no heat or A/C. I removed the glovebox to get access to the flap mechanism and manually opened the flap to allow recirc air. I have had heat and A/C ever since. I did not fix that actuator because it requires removing the whole airbox. If your problem turns out to be the heater vs A/C flap actuator I believe you can replace that easily with just the glovebox out.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the reply. It's been so hot lately that I can't really tell if the air is any more warm when I turn the temperature all the way up. It seems like the air does get a little more warm though. Did you remove any other panels to get access to the flap mechanism? I removed the glove box but don't see any flaps that I could manually open. Tried looking up videos and didn't find anything either.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

You may not have to remove anything if the problem is closed flaps. Reach up past the glove box and the blower motor and you will be able to feel the recirc flap, in the airbox almost to the firewall. A flashlight and mirror are helpful. I was able to push that flap open to allow air into the heat & A/C system.

With the glove box removed you should see something like the picture below. That white plastic ring I have circled in the picture is the flap actuator. I managed to unplug it because it wasn't working and it makes an awful grinding noise whenever the A/C or heat gets turned on or off. If you have the glove box out watch that thing and see if it moves when you hit the recirc button on the A/C, that might tell you if you are on the right trail.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just looked up your G113 code in the manual, that is the position sensor for the flap motor that we are talking about, the one that controls fresh vs. recirc air. The sensor is just above the motor. The airbox is up against the body there, I don't know if you can get access to the sensor to diagnose it.