TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Can i put a BOV (blow off valve) in my TT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should really just buy an intake and forge diverter valve (closed loop). It will still give you some sound as it blows back into the system, and will be the proper setup for your car.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default see my jetta-junkie thread

http://jettajunkie.com/vw-jetta/show...ing-Jetta-1.8T

just did this on my 1.8T MKIV Jetta. Hope this helps your questions.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I got the "silly noise" that you might be looking for by installing a K&N Apollo cold air intake. I wasn't doing it for the blow off noise, but got it after the install, some people like it though....

Alos, I would love to get a self adjusting/healing ECU if someone knows where they sell them ;-)
Old 01-11-2015, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. I have a Pop Off Valve installed on my 2002 TT and it sounds incredibly cool. I do have a cold air intake. First time I ever heard of the car possibly running rich on de-acceleration. I would ask however, are these POV adjustable? It seems over the last few months the sound isn't as distinct, or as loud as when I first started driving the car. But I love the way it sound. Of course the exhaust system only adds to the excitement!!
Old 03-18-2018, 12:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by TTturbine
I'm gettin a million different people tellin me different things. A tech at an Audi dealership told me installing a bov won't hurt my car at all or make it run rich it will just make deceleration happen faster and like after 2 days my ecu will fix its self and compensate for the loss of air recirculating through my maf.
That's correct

Without getting into the intimacies of the Ideal Gas Law, basic mass air flow systems meter the airflow after it enters the intake system, measuring volume and density so the ECU can calculate fueling requirements. There are two types of mass air flow (MAF) sensors: a vane meter that uses a trap door mechanism to ascertain flow and the modern, more popular hot wire or hot film type. Hot style set-ups use a heated sensing element warmed to a fixed temperature. When air flows past the element is cooled, the sensor works to maintain the element’s base temperature, and the current needed to do so is how the sensor determines airflow. The amount of current being used is converted into a voltage signal, which the ECU infuses into its fuel calculations.
There are two types of mass air flow (MAF) sensors: a vane meter that uses a trap door mechanism to ascertain flow and the modern, more popular hot wire or hot film type. Hot style set-ups use a heated sensing element warmed to a fixed temperature. When air flows past the element is cooled, the sensor works to maintain the element’s base temperature, and the current needed to do so is how the sensor determines airflow.
A turbocharged MAF-controlled engine runs a recirculating BOV because the system is a self-contained closed loop and the computer has determined its fueling strategy based on the flow. Re-inserting the boost into the system will not upset engine operation. Running a vented BOV changes the airflow (by venting it out of the system) AFTER the computer has decided its fuel parameters. The result is a hiccuping horror show of an engine that will barely run.
Speed density systems are more predictive in their approach to engine control. The major components of a speed density system are the Intake Air Temperature sensor (IAT) and Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor (MAP).
Engine speed, throttle position, and coolant temperature are other parameters that go into speed density calculations. An oxygen sensor mounted in the exhaust system relates combustion efficiency to the computer after the fact. The ECU takes all the data, readings, and measurements and selects one of many pre-programmed tables that represent a volumetric efficiency value of the engine. The table has a corresponding fuel table that is employed to run the engine. Since this system is not a closed-loop, pressurized design, losing or venting pressure to atmosphere will not impact performance so it can run either style of BOV.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Some are adjustable, infact those types are best for Audi tt, as you adjust the bov to shut and close the loop b4 the car gets to the icv (idle control valve) stops the car trying to settle its self constantly in what uses more fule
Old 03-18-2018, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

If you want noise, an open cone intake like the one from 42 Draft Designs will give that to you without venting metered air and throwing off fuel mixture. It will also sound like a small jet in a tunnel while under boost. I took mine off and sold it. Not for me.