TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Car is now happy and filled with Mobil 1 5w30 :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car is now happy and filled with Mobil 1 5w30 :)

what an ordeal!!! we got it on the lift and I removed the underpan and we got the drain plug out (it was finger tight at best) and the oil drained. Then we went for the oil filter. Got a spanner type wrench on it with no luck. It wasnt going to budge even with two burly mechanics wrenching on it. They didnt want to crush the filter so we got a finger type cup wrench. Not two seconds into trying to spin the filter off with it I hear a SNAP! and pieces of the wrench go flying. HMMMMMM

I was really hoping and praying that I would be lucky and my filter would just spin right off

Anyways... our last attempt was with a chain wrench. So he wrapped the chain around the filter, torqued it down and then heaved on it... the filter moved a TINY bit..... and then we heard a pop and oil sprayed everywhere cause the chain had punctured the filter and ripped it open. He heaved on it some more and it FINALLY budged and came off. Made a damn mess of the filter but thank god it was off lol!

Put the new drain plug in, I put the filter on so we know its comming off easy next time, filled her with oil, started it up and had no leaks so I put the under pan back on and we checked the level and topped it off a bit and away I went.

total time for an oil change? one and half hours!

Next time I'll be able to do it all myself.... there was just no way I was getting that filter off
Old 11-27-2003, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

what's your odometer reading?
Old 11-27-2003, 10:01 AM

Default For all the folks with oil filter removal problems.......

May want to try KD tools p/n 3288 oil filter REMOVAL tool. Available at NAPA stores etc.I have never found a filter that it would not remove. My TT,UrQ & Dodge Durango all have hard to access filters. UrQ has two. I also use one at work (VW). It fits on the end of the filter & is self adjusting. It will only remove, not tighten filters.The harder you turn it the more it grips. Only problem is if the filter is not fairly flat on the end you may have to flatten it a little. You'll see what I mean if you get one. No big deal. This tool has been mentioned here before but it's been a while. Hth
'83 UrQ
'01 225 CQ
Old 11-27-2003, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah thats what we tried I think!!!! Thats the one that broke

It was a KD tools, from napa... dunno the part number though....

Its got three fingers, self adjusting, you put a socket wrench into the bottom of it

Took us two seconds to snap all the fingers off.

my filter must have really been on there good!
Old 11-27-2003, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

6372 miles last night
Old 11-27-2003, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: 6372 miles last night

Just to add to my knowledge base and I am not going to argue your decisions but:
-what was your final criteria for when to change first oil?
-How do you like your Revo and type?
Old 11-27-2003, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Driving conditions mostly...

I know the factory states 10k miles to the first oil change.. BUT if you read in your manual it states that if your driving conditions are considered harsher than normal you should change it more often. They listed harsh driving conditions as making alot of short trips (10 miles and under) driving in stop and go conditions, driving in dusty and or high heat conditions or driving harder than 'normal'. I met all 4 criteria.... I drive hard, 98% of my driving is in stop and go traffic on trips that are usually no more than 5 miles (its a small town) and its new mexico... in the desert... in a drought lol.. its very dusty and hot here!

So I'm planning on oil changes every 5k miles for that reason.

Personally... I think the 10k service intervals are more of a money saving plot by the company bean counters than anything.... since you are getting free scheduled maintenance. I notice that all the high end makes that offer free maintenance like merc., bmw, audi, etc are all at 10k intervals. Most other cars are at 3500 or 5000.
Old 11-27-2003, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Driving conditions mostly...

All good and valid reason...heck I changed my at 1,940 before I took my trip to San Francisco.
Have you been to the Hatch, NM pepper festival?...I'd like to make it one of these years.
-What about your Revo, are you happy with it? any unusual noises coming form engine since? Thanks for all your help.
Maurice
Old 11-27-2003, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I told you to be prepared for that.... :>)

glad you got it off. Shouldn't ever have any problems with it again.
fig
Old 11-27-2003, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default oops forgot about the revo!

I'm very happy with it. Theres still a bit of a slight screaching but its mostly gone away now. I tightened the lower intercooler hoses last night while it was on the lift and that seems to have helped a bit. But I guess I should just put my front mount on with some Samco's and hopefully that will take care of the problem!

My only beef is the stock DV just can't keep up.... which will be remedied next week when my hyperboost gets delivered

Never been to the Hatch festival. Thats a way away from where I live.... I'm not much into the chile though either.

Quick Reply: Car is now happy and filled with Mobil 1 5w30 :)