TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Charging a TT on a credit card ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-1999, 01:25 PM
DaveB

Default Charging a TT on a credit card ???

Seems that I remember someone on this forum had charged a TT on their credit card. I have just come back from my Audi dealership where 2 months ago I was told they would take a credit card for payment....now they won't. Damn, I wanted those points. So now I need to call other dealers and find out if any others will take a card. Is this standard practice or is it the fact that they don't want to pay 3% to the card company and with the TT they feel they don't need to reduce the profit margin by even that. I was just this () close to putting down a deposit....urrrrr
Old 12-11-1999, 01:40 PM
John TT

Default They usually cap it at $2k or so - its definately because of the fee

Profit margins on cars are so, so thin (aside from the TT where MSRP is the rule). A good dealer basically breaks even on new car sales (margins above invoice covers sales costs and overhead). They make the majority of their money on service.
Old 12-11-1999, 01:41 PM
Steve S.

Default They should take a credit card deposit...that is standard practice

Selling the whole car on a credit card is more out of the ordinary...usually tried by an occasional dentist. :-) Depending on rate...they could be paying the credit card company from 2.25% to as high as 3.5% on Visa/MC/Discover....AMEX is something entirely different. I actually don't blame them for rejecting a whole car purchase on credit card.

Steve S.
Somebody that works in the financial sector
Old 12-12-1999, 01:36 AM
FT

2,500 Max. Not including initial 1,000 deposit.My experience. (nt)
Old 12-12-1999, 04:59 AM
Wipeout

Default CAN'T YOU JUST TAKE A CASH ADVANCE ON THE CARD? ...

Now you have the best of both worlds. I did this for my wife's engagement ring when the jewler wouldn't take a card.
Old 12-12-1999, 05:58 AM
Denny

Default Good idea, but be careful. Many cards charge (more)

a percentage transaction fee on cash advances. Also, some cards will apply a higher interest rate on advances than they do on purchases. Check your credit card information carefully if you take this route. The transaction fee might be greater than just buying a plane ticket.

I leased, and my dealer took my debit card (point for each dollar spent) for my deposit and for all money due at signing. I do know friends who have bought a car on a credit card to get the mileage, but they had prior agreement from the dealership. Plus, it was a used car and not a new care if that makes any difference.
Old 12-12-1999, 06:07 AM
Gary C (UK)

Default Re: Charging a TT on a credit card ???

tried putting my TT on my Amex here in the Uk (price here is about US$50k)and the Audi dealer wanted to charge me an extra 4% to cover his costs !! In teh Uk this is unfortunately legal, and it seems that anything over £1000 is affected like this..
Old 12-12-1999, 10:35 AM
Wes

Default Credit for down payment? (more)

What do you guys think about put the down payment on credit? I am frantically trying to sell my old car (95' Eagle Talon) before my TTQ comes in. I was hoping to use that money to slide into a TT - financing the rest. But it's getting close to my delivery date, and I have not found a buyer yet.
Old 12-13-1999, 07:29 PM
Lee

Default Re: Charging a TT on a credit card ???

I get 'curtesy checks' from my credit card companies that I can use as a personal check anywhere, but gets charged to my CC account. I'm thinking of using one for the down payment on my condo next week (needed a garage for a new Audi in the spring!). I don't think the recipient pays any fee to the company. Give it a shot...

Lee