TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

computer/guages out

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-1999, 08:16 AM
DenverDP

Default computer/guages out

Can anyone tell me what has caused all my instrument guages, clock, and computer to go blank. It checked and changed fuse 11 to no avail. I also get a "warning busser @ every three seconds whether the key is on or off. The only other symptom I notice is that the tach and speedometer needles jump just slightly every few seconds. Audi doctors please help.
Old 12-18-1999, 11:24 AM
greg

Default Re: computer/guages out - Just had the same problem

Mine went out two weeks ago and Audi still has no instrument clusters in the US. You are in for a long wait as there is a guy in San Diego in line behind me and who knows how many others. There is an 800 number we can call and they will give you an official complaint number. This is common I have found out and the new cluster may just be a bandaid. Recall??
Old 12-18-1999, 04:00 PM
Jim Lee

Default Re: computer/guages out

Hi there. I have a TT Quattro with 2500 miles. At 1800 or so the tach and the speedo started getting jumpy and finally just died. I went to one dealer who massaged the instrument cluster connector and it fixed the problem. I know he applied some type of special smootz to the connector. When I told my regular dealer about it, they ordered me a new cluster because they said the wiggling of the connectors was considered a temporary fix. I checked with Audi and they confirmed that this was indeed concidered a temporary fix. It took about 4 or 5 weeks for the cluster to arrive and everything worked perfectly while I was waiting. I suspect the wait would be less since it's a known problem now. So----maybe you can get a dealer to do the smootz thing for you and get you running normal until the real fix.

Good luck.
Old 12-19-1999, 03:44 PM
Dave G

Default Re: computer/guages out - Just had the same problem - me too

I'm in LA waiting (a month) for a new instrument cluster for a 180Q with just about 1800 miles.

After a recent 5 day trip (airplane) to Florida
I returned to a TT with a TOTALLY DEAD BATTERY.

Just sitting in the garage drains it dead.

But, with a $100 Solar brand commercial portable
battery I just jump started it (instant start)
and off I went. Of course the odometer again
went to 0 miles and the gas gauge started wiggling
around after an hour drive and oh yeah the
left window did the funny I wanna go up, no I wanna go down routine. Lowering it all the way
fixed that (for now).

Anyone know the twit supplier of the instrument
cluster on this otherwise great car?

Is it Lucas?

Don't have patience of BW, irked in LA.
Old 12-20-1999, 01:54 PM
greg

Default Re: computer/guages out / You Fix is Unauthorized by Audi

My blue TT is at Anderson Behel going on 3 weeks now. I sent them your note on the remporary fix and the local Audi factory rep. has said the fix poses a danger of instrument failure and for safety reasons they will not do it (even though it may work). At the same time they do not know when the instrument cluster will be in. They gave me a 2000 4x4 explorer to drive during the service period. It $40 a day, this is costing audi a boatload. I just want my TT and I know of 2 other with the same problem.