TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Considering purchase of a 2005 1.8T roadster... Need guidance

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering purchase of a 2005 1.8T roadster... Need guidance

Hello, I am new to the forum. Seeking a post or web link that can outline some key areas to look at ad review for used 05 TT roadsters...

Car has more than 82K miles, automatic transmission. Test drove the car and could tell that it needed brakes, and the steering was rather stiff (mechanic is checking)... But not much else stood out, mechanically. Body and interior wear and tear as expected for the mileage.

Comments and advice welcome , including questions I would do well to be asking before a potential purchase... Thanks!

Old 07-20-2018, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

Read this FAQ https://forums.fourtitude.com/showth...44-Audi-TT-FAQ
Of the many potential issues, the biggest is if you can't prove the timing belt and associated parts have not been replaced in the last 5 years or 60 K miles, it will need to be done ASAP or risk a $5K+ repair.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks very much. In the FAQ link, I noticed the MK1 has rack and pinion steering? Would that be the reason it felt very stiff to me when I was making turns after coming to a stop and also parking the car? I'm in my fifties and don't recall ever driving a car without power steering.
​​​​​​
Old 07-21-2018, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you! Would my lack of familiarity with rack and pinion steering be related to me thinking the 05 TT that I test drove had steering that was too stiff? I've probably driven power steering cars most of my life, but my test ride seemed a little more stuff than I thought it would be, when turning the car after a stop, or parkin it... Would appreciate the perspective of others... Thank you
Old 07-21-2018, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

The power steering on a Mk1 TT is less assisted that all other AUDI’s. What you notice there is probably normal. It feels good at speed with good feedback.

Read the FAQ posted above carefully. Most of the points to watch for are in it.
My advice when buying a Mk1 TT is to look for the very best one you can find. Do not buy someone else’s problems.
Good Luck!

Last edited by J. Patterson; 07-21-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks again for the helpful guidance. I was trying to search through the FAQ thread but couldn't figure out (yet) how to do a Text search on just that thread, so... here's my next question...

I asked the dealer of the TT I'm considering about the timing belt assembly and its condition and whether or not it's been maintained properly... the dealer said the mechanic has to remove the front bumper (or something on the front end of the car) to take a look and make a proper assessment, so that means... some labor involved to check things out as I am asking... is that correct? Is the labor involved in doing so that much of an effort? Please let me know.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Christ19
Thanks again for the helpful guidance. I was trying to search through the FAQ thread but couldn't figure out (yet) how to do a Text search on just that thread, so... here's my next question...

I asked the dealer of the TT I'm considering about the timing belt assembly and its condition and whether or not it's been maintained properly... the dealer said the mechanic has to remove the front bumper (or something on the front end of the car) to take a look and make a proper assessment, so that means... some labor involved to check things out as I am asking... is that correct? Is the labor involved in doing so that much of an effort? Please let me know.
This is incorrect. On a transverse engine and AUDI like the TT the timing belt can be seen very quickly.. you just remove the turbo charger charge pipe then the timing belt cover can be accessed and two clips unclipped and it can be removed. One can then see the timing belt. Unfortunately that will tell you very little. You know if it looks good and is tight. You will not know it’s age and the conditions of the idler and tensioner and waterpump. Bearing failures here are said to often be the root cause of timing belt failure. Thus the 60,000 mile or 5 years recommendation. I wouldn’t be afraid to go a bit longer on either of those if the other factor is low. Example 75000—4 years or 50000—7 years. When I bought my Roadster in Texas I did inspect the timing belt before driving it home to Alabama. Took less than an hour. It looked fine BUT— I changed it as soon as I got the car home. It’s about a $1000 job at a good independent mechanic.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default In fact you can slide the top plastic cover off to peek at the belt

Originally Posted by J. Patterson

This is incorrect. On a transverse engine and AUDI like the TT the timing belt can be seen very quickly.. you just remove the turbo charger charge pipe then the timing belt cover can be accessed and two clips unclipped and it can be removed. One can then see the timing belt. Unfortunately that will tell you very little. You know if it looks good and is tight. You will not know it’s age and the conditions of the idler and tensioner and waterpump. Bearing failures here are said to often be the root cause of timing belt failure. Thus the 60,000 mile or 5 years recommendation. I wouldn’t be afraid to go a bit longer on either of those if the other factor is low. Example 75000—4 years or 50000—7 years. When I bought my Roadster in Texas I did inspect the timing belt before driving it home to Alabama. Took less than an hour. It looked fine BUT— I changed it as soon as I got the car home. It’s about a $1000 job at a good independent mechanic.
There is a black plastic cover behind and above the serpentine belt that just slides up and off so you can see the timing belt in a minute. However, as you said, it only shows you the condition of the belt and a visual check the tension but that is of little use.
For the OP, clearly the salesman and technician are either clueless or unscrupulous. They are making up stories to dissuade you from further inspection. Make the deal assuming the belt etc must be replaced. BTW, as stated in the FAQ, the next big ticket item is the glove box latch. Make sure it works perfectly because the part is $1K - no joke. This effects mostly earlier models. My 2001 had the problem. My 2004 had an improved latch. Make sure the dash works, fuel gauge, temperature gauge, information display pixels. The temp gauge should read dead center when hot. The dash display/gauges are one huge printed circuit board.

Last edited by Vegas-roadster; 07-25-2018 at 06:51 AM.