TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

continued: Speed limiter on US TT's: I think not!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-1999, 01:04 PM
y2ktturbo

Default continued: Speed limiter on US TT's: I think not!

We had this thread a few days ago and I insisted it was true since Audi said so.

Well...

I found a flattish, empty rural road on a dry sunny day and she was still pulling at 140mph. It's autosaved in my GPS. 140.

OHMYGOD I was scared out of my mind. Adrenaline pumping like the day I awaited the financing to go through on my TT. OK, more than that.

It's been a good day.

Ivan

Old 12-11-1999, 01:29 PM
DaveB

Default Re: continued: Speed limiter on US TT's: I think not!

Ivan,
Have you had any trouble with your TT? Would you buy one again if you had it to do over? How has the service at Key Audi been? And by the way, which rural road did you use to go 140? Dave
Old 12-11-1999, 02:50 PM
johnkrls

Yep! I agree with y2ktturbo. Last August I hit 135mph on I-5 southwards. The car felt it could go even faster but had to slow down for upcoming truck. No speed limiter kicked in and no stability problems. My TT (180FWD) felt rock steady and I have tested it at Point Sears Raceway too during tight turns at speeds slightly over 100mph and also didn't experience any tail lifting or other problems. Just some body roll which is controllable and much fun!
TTs rock, especially at hugging corners!
John K.
Old 12-11-1999, 04:47 PM
Neo, Barcelona

Default What about the 225Q?

Anyone has any experience to share about high speeds and how the car did felt in quick turns.

Old 12-11-1999, 07:18 PM
cbobgo

my understanding is the speed is capped at 140 - has anyone been over this number?

- Bob
Old 12-12-1999, 06:47 AM
y2ktturbo

Default If I were paranoid... (long)

I would think that you were trying to find out where I was speeding so recklessly yesterday, so that you could ask some of the hunters parked just off the road if they witnessed a silver streak and heard a "BOOM" when I broke the sound barrier, and were hoping I would tell you who my friends were at Key Audi so that you could see if any one of them were with me, and you could get my account number to slap a speeding ticket on my lease payment.

Since I am not, here are your answers:

1. I have had some trouble with my TT, left taillight short early on, privacy shelf rattles like an SOB ( I ordered a new one and the rattler sits removed in the hatch) and radio display in the computer went intermittent. A few other rattles that were taken care of by Key Audi.

2. HEY FORUM MEMBERS WOULD I BUY A TT AGAIN!? Let me put it this way. I am so "into" this car that my friend made me a parody gift for my birthday. A particular friend buys me a new flannel shirt every year. I received my 1999 flannel last night. It had a hand-cut felt "TT" glued to the chest. I was laughing so hard when I opened the box I wasted a huge mouthful of margarita!

3. Key Audi has been 100%. Perfect. And I had high expectations since this is my first highline car. No tricks at deal time, and service is great. I got an A6 loaner for my 5K service. I bug the heck out of the service mgr. every time I am there, and he always accomodates. My wife awaits the Audi sport utility so that she can jump from Lexus. And you know how highly rated Lexus is on customer service.

4. Hwy 16 in Clay county, coming from Gold Head Branch State Park toward Middleburg. It just happened to go empty on me for a few choice moments.

email me with more specific ?'s about Key if you like.

Ivan

Old 12-12-1999, 08:02 AM
DaveB

Default Re: If I were paranoid... (long)

Ivan,
No need to be paranoid, I'm a computer guy not a cop. I was at Key Audi yesturday and almost put a deposit on a TT but found out they changed their policy on credit cards. I'll probably still get one there but wanted to check out a couple of other options on the money side. By the end of next week I will definitly have one on order for the March time-frame delivery. When I was at Key Audi, I test drove a silver/black TT that they have on the lot that is not purchased. Could have bought that one but it is too soon...my company car doesn't go back for another 5500 miles. Qestion...Do you have the all leather seats? I'm debating over getting the cloth/leather. I'm thinking the cloth with the rubber nurbs would be a lot less slippery. Thanks, Dave
Old 12-12-1999, 08:46 AM
y2ktturbo

I have the all leather. It's not slippery, but I "fill them out" (255lbs) Have'nt seen the rubber. (nt)
Old 12-12-1999, 01:17 PM
mne

I was over 140 stock and never saw a hint of limiter. Redline cutout worked tho! (nt)
Old 12-12-1999, 02:56 PM
Jenner

I have the all leather, its not slippery, I "don't fill them out"(only 145lbs 5'8")HTH

Quick Reply: continued: Speed limiter on US TT's: I think not!