TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

DCT and options questions on the 2004/2005 TT

Old 11-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DCT and options questions on the 2004/2005 TT

Hey guys, I need your help with some questions answered as the more I read the wikipedia, different forums and the autos.msn.com the more I get confused. If you just suggested a good site with the listing of standard/optional equipment on the 2004/2005 mk1 TT it'd probably answer all my questions, but after perusing the FAQ I couldn't find one.

Anyways, I'm researching the TT and since the significant other might also be driving the car I can't get the manual. And because the DCT was introduced just a year later than an SMG-auto (correct me if I'm wrong on this) I figured, OK, it makes sense to spring for a 2004/2005 model with a nicer transmission.

So I have my mind pretty much set on the TT coupe, definitely with the DSG and preferably quattro.

That's where the confusion begins. Did the DCT (which afaik Audi calls DSG, is it also same thing which is called S-tronic on MSN Autos?) replace the SMG-Auto completely back in 2004 or the TTs were available with the choice of either manual, SMG or DSG?

If the only automatic transmission available from 2004 was DSG it makes my life so much easier.

Also, from what I've gathered, 1.8L models had quattro as an option, while 3.2L had quattro standard, that is from 2004 on?

Is there any way to find out how much extra the DSG + Quattro costed for 1.8L model back in 2004/2005? I'm just trying to figure out if it makes sense to even keep looking for a 2004/2005 1.8L Coupe with DSG+Quattro or the price of these options was so high that everyone who had wanted them probably gone for the 3.2L model?

Another question is the cost of the DSG and ESP (everything for the safety of the better half ) for 3.2L models back in 2004/2005 -- any way to find that out? I'm just trying to figure out how much my ideal car would cost, based on the different listings at craigslist, ebay motors and autotrader.

Any feedback will be appreciated!
-Stan
Old 11-04-2008, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There was a standard slushbox automatic offered from 2003 for 180hp cars

It's 6-speed tiptronic and is only available with FWD.

From 2004 the DSG/S-tronic was offered only on the 3.2l V6 cars and only with quattro. The 3.2 was never offered in the US with a normal manual transmission.

There was never an option for a quattro 1.8T without a manual transmission.

The only auto available with quattro was the DSG on the 3.2s. Both DSG and ESP were standard items on the 3.2.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:46 AM

Default i would recommend not to keep looking for a 1.8 with DSG

as this never existed, as John mentions.

If you want DSG, you need to get the 3.2.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Thanks, so 2004 and up 3.2L Quattro is all I need!

John,

Thank you so much for the prompt reply. So my only option would be the 2004 and up 3.2L Quattro and that'd additionally have the DSG and ESP, so all the components I need, right?

BTW, if this is the information which was available somewhere online and I just didn't find it, or if there's a good web-site for digging that kind of information for the older cars I would appreciate the link.

Also, what's the name of the color on your car? Is it an Audi color or a repaint?

Thanks again,
-Stan
Old 11-04-2008, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default lol it's called "primer."

just kidding, it's "aviator gray," or LZ7W (thus the screen name for John).

On a side note, if you're buying a used TT, you might want to consider getting a warranty.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No problem...

I don't think there is a site that has a single concise listing of all of the options and drivetrain combinations. There is a model guide section here at audiworld but it's basically a pdf for each year, doesn't have the whole production run in one place.

And yes, aviator grey is a factory color, and no, it was never available on the 3.2
Old 11-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Thanks!

Well, unless John changes his screen-name it's easy to remember then.

Well, after reading the wikipedia I'm aware of the two class-action lawsuits against Audi for the TT problems and I'll be reading more posts on the maintenance issues in the FAQ, but I needed to narrow down the model first.

I also need to confirm with Audi if the extended warranty I can buy in the USA will be valid in Canada, as I'm planning on importing the car to BC (which should be much cheaper to do now, as the bumpers won't need to be replaced).

Thank you guys for your feedback, if there're any other suggestions I'd welcome them. So far the most important thread I found here was what to look at in the used TT and it was linked from the FAQ -- thanks to the admins/mods.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks, found the model guide info it's awesome! Last Q now!

Am I reading it right that the 3.2L model has no spare tire (at all!), just the repair kit?

Also was hoping to find that in the model guide, but didn't -- what do the S-Line and the Special Edition bring?

PS. If the battery (which is in the trunk for the 3.2L) is dead, is it possible to open the trunk lid manually? You'll see where I'm coming from if you ever had the dead battery in the pre-2007 X5.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nope, no spare tire in the 3.2 since the battery is back there

There is a manual release for the trunk in all of the TTs, for the gas cap too. Trunk release is in the center console near the cupholder I believe. Gas cap release is in a cubby in the trunk.

All of the 3.2s were tagged as S-Line but in the US it's really just a badge. In the rest of the world there was an S-Line suspension option that we never got. Some people refer to the 3.2 bumper, rear valence and rear spoiler as S-Line bodykit.

The Special Edition is special for what it doesn't bring. These were supposed to be end of production special units and have a black roof. If I remember correctly there was a mixup and I think the SE cars were missing the heated seats, bose stereo and 6-disc changer.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Hillarious!

Thank you for your highly informative and nonetheless very amusing posts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DCT and options questions on the 2004/2005 TT