TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Do you think this car could be a "flood car"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you think this car could be a "flood car"?

Ive had my 02 225 for about a week and started to do the obvious chores yesterday. I noticed with the wheels on that the calipers were really rusty, and after 2 hours with my 600lb/ft impact wrench and a 6' cheater bar getting the front lug bolts off, I found the rotors also heavily rusted, on the edges. I changed the oil yesterday, and found a nuber of pieces of WOOD (!) in the undertray, but no damage to the tray itself. Also a pretty sizable chunk wedged into the leading edge of the transmission housing.Clean Carfax (I guess that rules out salvage, eh). Anyone have any thoughts to throw back? I'm pretty paranoid and am having the dealer go through the car next week. Whoa!
Old 09-03-2006, 03:58 PM

Default BTW, this car is out of Georgia, but in New Jersey it's entire life.

Dealer got it at auction after lease expiration
Old 09-03-2006, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rotor rust is not uncommon. Mine rust up after every wash. Wood pieces seems rather odd, but I

don't see how flooding would force/wedge pieces in. No funky smells?
Old 09-03-2006, 04:07 PM

Default If you remove the trim along one of the doors and pull back the carpet you shouldn't smell any

mold or mildew odor.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:23 PM

Default Yeah, mine rust too, but this is on the edge and THICK!....

No odd smells, and wood??? no clue.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:26 PM

If it came out of NJ it is probably corrosion from road salt in the winter.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:33 PM

Default yeah XCLR8TT, that's my first thought,too (I'm in Nebraska, salt heaven)++

That could also explain the seized wheel bolts. However, I've been driving BMW's in NE since 1981 and have never seen this edge rust phenomenon. I can see the frozen lugs with some meathead not using some anti-seize or the like during service, or torquing to 1000lb/ft. Paranoia is in charge currently, just seeing what you guys think. Thanks!
Old 09-03-2006, 04:35 PM

The rust is also thick in the rotor venting vanes...hhhhmmmmmmm.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:39 PM

Default Mine was originally from CT now in PA. lug nuts were hell with impact wrench

I needed to use a breaker bar. Thank got i didnt end up with any heads spinnig out.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It may have just sat a while before you bought it. How many miles are on it?

Is it possible that it was just ran off the road and the wood lodged in from some underbrush?

I agree that with no smells, and a clear title from Carfax, the chances of it being a flood car are slim. One thing I always do when I buy a used car is detective work. You say the car came from NJ, get a comprehensive list of all the dealers in NJ and call them all up with the VIN to find the one where the previous owner took it (Carfax may narrow this down if there's a county listing). It may take several calls to some dealers so you get them when they're not busy, but if they took it to an Audi dealer then you can find out what the service department knows about the car once you find the right one.

Also, search the car for any old registrations. Inside the manual, underneath the spare, I've found several clues (and a few pieces of jewelry) this way.

Good luck, and post a picture of that TT!

)

Quick Reply: Do you think this car could be a "flood car"?